cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber 9.2.x on Windows 8 with Office 2010/2013

muranskycotech
Level 1
Level 1

Running Jabber 9.2.2 on Windows 8 Professional 64-bit, and I'm running into a strange issue with the WebEx MAPI Component (wbxcOIEx.exe).

When I logon to Jabber, it connects perfectly fine. However, the wbxcOIEx.exe process will completely lock my Outlook .ost file and prevent Outlook from opening. Outlook then produces this error message:

---------------------------

Outlook Data File

The file C:\Users\Aaron\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Aaron.ost is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any application that is using this file, and then try again. You might need to restart your computer.

OK  

If I manually kill off the WebEx process, Jabber continues to function exactly as expected AND Outlook launches and works perfectly as well. [UPDATED: See post later in the thread for solution to this first issue. --6/12/2013]

I'm also having issues with Outlook no longer showing Presence status nor is Click to Call working. [UPDATED: I'm still seeking a solution to this issue. --6/12/2013]

27 Replies 27

andreschwier
Level 1
Level 1

Having exactly the same issue(s) with Windows 8 and Office 2013 RTM.

I have WebEx Accounts configured.

nicagraves
Level 4
Level 4

We are having the same issue but with Windows 7 and Office 2010 and Jabber 9.1.1. Did you ever find a solution?

muranskycotech
Level 1
Level 1

No, I still have this issue... regardless of combination of Office 2010/2013 and Windows 7/8 64-bit. I haven't done any testing on 32-bit Windows.

Ok thanks. We have a TAC open with Cisco so I'll let you know if they provide a solution.

Hi all,

any news about this?

Thx

Andre

For us it turned out to be unrelated to Jabber. We use a program called Viewfinity to manage administrative rights on our workstations. We accidentally disabled a Viewfinity policy that was allowing admin rights on the Jabber app so because the policy gave the user specific rights during the install, when we disabled it, the rights were taken away which caused that odd behavior.

So, I guess if you're having this issue, maybe look into the admin rights and possibly group policies that could be interfering with Jabber on your workstations.

Unfortunately, my case is a clean install of Windows 8 with no group policy applied and the user has admin rights.

Thanks for the feedback though... hopefully it might help others with this issue.

nicagraves,

Can you tell me what changes you made in ViewFinity to solve this issue? I'm having the same issue.

Thanks

rb

Hi Richard,

I wish I could tell you exactly how we configured it but I looked at our Viewfinity policies and it looks like we're not using that policy anymore. But if I remember correctly we were allowing the Cisco Jabber application to run with elevated privileges. Possibly specifically CiscoJabber.exe and wbxcOIEx.exe. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Ilya Geraskin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If you still have a problem with Presence and Click to Call in Outlook 2013 you can check this:

Reg key

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers\Cisco Jabber]

should have value:

"UpAndRunning"=dword:00000002

That was already set and has had no impact whatsoever.

I also can confirm that have the REG KEY Settings but still have the same issue.

muranskycotech
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to fix part of the issue by setting CiscoJabber.exe, wbxcOIEx.exe, and wbxcOIEx64.exe processes for Compatibility Mode to Always Run as Administrator. To do this, do the following:

1. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber ... (Program Files if 32-bit system.)
  2. Find the wbxcOIEx.exe file.
  3. Right Click and Click Properties
  4. Click the Compatibility tab.
  5. I recommend clicking the Change for all users button.
  6. Check Run as Administrator
  7. Click OK until you're back to Explorer.
  8. Find the CiscoJabber.exe process and set it the same way (it may also be required for other features).
  9. Find the x64 folder, and set the wbxcOIEx64.exe process the same way.

This will fix the OST locked issue of this thread. I'm still not able to use C2C or Presence in Outlook 2010 or 2013, however. So I'm still missing something on that side.

When doing the chnages 1-8 from the previous post i still face the same problem and outlook will not start. (2013)

Both files are set to "Run as Administrator".

Outlook Data File

The file C:\Users\Aaron\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\xxxx.ost is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any application that is using this file, and then try again. You might need to restart your computer.

OK  

When ending te process via task manager (wbxcOIEx.exe) I can confirm Outlook is starting.

When I first start Outlook and afterwards Jabber (Version 9.2.1 Build 606) I face no problem.

But Presence is still not working with Office 2013 on Windows 8. REG Keys were not the problem are are set correctly.

BR

Andre

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: