cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

jabber MRA Jitter / packet loss issue

jaheshkhan
Level 4
Level 4

One of our client recently started issue with cisco jabber MRA jitter issue.

If call from Cisco jabber MRA call to Internal office, MRA side jitter issue can be heard but internal phone side no jitter issue.

If call from Cisco jabber MRA call to external PSTN call to landline or mobile, then also jitter problem for MRA jabber side but not on PSTN side

If call from Cisco jabber MRA call to .Cisco jabber MRA call then there is jitter problem on both .

After check ctlr+shift+S on jabber windows i found in the receiving side there is packet loss.

also from wireshark I can see wrong sequence issue.

what could be the reason? there are two firewalls in between

The path is like this: 
Jabber MRA > Fortigate > Cisco ASA > Exp-E > Nexus > ServerFarn Sw > EXP C

I can find mostly MRA side packet loss happening... 

what could be the reason? This happens for all jabber MRA calls in MRA side. 

Please find the attached screen shot of jabber client statistics and wireshark.

Client is not facing problem with microsoft teams, zoom call etc . only facing this issue with jabber MRA calls.

expressways are 8.11.4 version.

CUCM 11.5

19 Replies 19

Mostly the problem lies with the user's internet connection. request to check the user's broadband connection or issue with the service provider (broadband). try basic troubleshooting at user set up such as broadband router restart and monitor. 

Regards, 

Even I mentioned them to check with service provider about this. But question is why this is happening only with jabber not with microsoft teams or webex or zoom calls?

Stephanie Knoop
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It would be helpful to see the Jabber stats for the other two call types (PSTN and internal IP phone).  I would do the following to isolate:
1. repeat your steps with another Jabber user.  Does the jitter remain for all call types with a different user on different ISP/PC, etc.?
2. Have the user run the following connectivity test which includes packet loss and jitter measurements:

• Browse to https://www.visualware.com/bcs/index.htm and download and install the appropriate version for your computer
  • Browse to http://vac.visualware.com/portals/wfh/work-from-home-assessment.html.
    • Skip steps 1 and 2, as you've already selected your network connection and downloaded the program.
    • In step 3, select the nearest test location to you
    • In step 4, leave the number of calls at 2
    • Click Start Test
    • When the test is complete, observe the latency and packet loss measurements.  They include direction, so you should be able to rule in or out your user's local connection.

Response Signature

kindly note this happens for all users. but ill try the test as you mentioned. i think you checked the screen shot that i uploaded .

I didnt feel its really helpful.. it didnt show any packet loss except round trip time issue. but in wireshark and jabber call statistic as I mentioned before showing packet loss.

No, this is good data.  If your clients can successfully run that test between their home network and the testing server, then they *likely have a good connection at home so you can remove your focus on ISP somewhat. Now, they do have a high latency...240ms is more than the round trip you'd typically want, but that is not the same as the packet loss.  I would suggest now that you focus on obtaining packet captures at every point in the path that you can to see where the loss is occurring, starting with these:
1. Wireshark the client
2. TCP dump on Expressway E
3. TCP dump on Expressway C
4. Observe loss/direction on IP phone.

See where you first observe the loss and in which direction.  Based on your jabber screenshot, you have both send and receive loss.  Based on your out of order packets, I would guess that somewhere you will find a network issue.
Have you disabled ALG/SIP packet inspection on the FW? Is there any sort of asymmetrical routing that could be happening?  Is there any policy to to prioritize voice in the ASA or Fortigate?  I don't work on these devices, but have had to work with my team to correct issues in our ASA in the past.

If you can't find a choke point with the voice devices above, then you'll need to also include the network devices in your packet capture efforts as well.

As far as your reply about call statistics in the C or E, you can look at call legs.  Go to Status>Calls>History.  Select the call in question, and then you wills see the various components.  If you look at the B2BUA component and then the media statistics, there you will see statistics that may be helpful for the call legs and hopefully gain clues where the loss is introduced.

Response Signature

thank you for reply.

Kindly note that the jabber screen shot that i uploaded was when calling from jabber MRA to jabber MRA. then we can see packet loss sent and receive. but if im calling jabber MRA to internal IP Phone or PSTN calls then statistics only shows loss at receive but not at sent.

Unless you have implemented ICE/Turn, the media traffic still passes through both your Expressway C & E, meaning those components could be the cause of sent or received loss and deserving of a look.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/expressway/config_guide/X12-5/exwy_b_mra-expressway-deployment-guide/exwy_b_mra-expressway-deployment-guide_chapter_01100.html#concept_F10A0256C14ED552FEE0ACEA9F4BEAA5

Response Signature

kindly note that expessway version is 8.11.4. at the moment they cannot upgrade to new system. this is the maximum they can upgrade at the moment.

So its not 12.5 version.

As you mentioned the traffic is passing through both E and C. but there was no problem before. then recently they started facing these problem .

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Generically, I'm not clear on why there's an ASA and some sort of fortigate product between the expressway E and the client, unless the fortigate is at some remote location? What is the health of the Expressway solution? Are the appliances virtualized without sufficient resources? Do the call statistics show some sort of issue between core and edge, or is traffic being mangled by the items you have between? Is some sort of traffic inspection/ALG causing trouble?

Fortigate firewall is the perimeter firewall and ASA is the DC firewall. they implemented it as i mentioned it

We can only check the health of expressway from esxi server right? is there any other way to check it? If so I couldnt see any issue there?

Call statistics didnt show any issue between core and edge. Can you mention which option of call statistics are you mentioning here?

Already checked the exp E and EXP C resource allocation. they are very minimal. cpu, memory and disk utilization are quite normal usage.

what i really not understand why the packet loss showing one way that is from inside to internet side. from internet to office network there is no loss in packet. 

if its interface or device faulty issue then both side traffic should have issue right?  

is this some kind of firewall issue to loss packet loss only for RTP?

or is it from ISP? when checked with ISP they says every thing ok. I tried ping test to each device expc, exp E, fortigate fw, ASA fw. All seems ok.

Why this problem only for jabber MRA and not with microsoft teams, zoom call etc.

You really need to take a look at the full path and do some isolation testing/analysis at the entrance and egress points for the expressways to find out where the loss is being introduced.  Several of us have offered places/methods to help isolate.  Unless you have CVI, your MS calls are most definitely following the same call path, and only Zoom CRC calls would go through Expressway, so you have to focus on the MRA call failures and isolating the problem along that call path.

Response Signature

Uplink and downlink are two separate things.

Ping isn't a test of network performance.

You can congest your uplink, have an issue with queuing, shaping, inspection, etc which can impact traffic in one direction, and not in another.

If you draw out your solution in a diagram, clear the entirety of the pathway in each direction. If this is a physical appliance, for example, perhaps it is plugged into a switch, connected with a transceiver that is having an issue on transmit.

The other applications are probably not related to the issue at hand, and should not be brought into your troubleshooting scope.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: