cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber VDI over MRA

pvarenholt
Level 5
Level 5

we are currently using MRA for Jabber on mobile and desk phone at home.

Is the VDI version of Jabber supported to work over MRA (i.e. vpn-less)?

Thanks,

Paul.

22 Replies 22

am a little confused with this MRA support over VDI, we also have a new project coming up to support jabber softphone for VDI and i know with 12.6 version onwards jabber softphone for VDI supports MRA...am not a citric guy but what i read that you have to install the JVDI client on the thin client, right. I don't seem to understand a scenario related to MRA, can you give me an example, guide doesn't mention anything about installing JVDI client on your personal device, if that is poosible then how exactly it works with HVDs which reside in the corporate network.

Just trying to picture this, sorry if i sound silly.

The Jabber software running on the HVD talks to the JVDI Agent also running on the HVD.

The JVDI Agent communicates through your VDI platform client connection to the the JVDI client running on the same computer as your VDI client. The JVDI Client is what is registering to the Call Manager sofphone device. If your VDI client is outside your corporate network the JVDI client needs to use MRA as the conduit to register to Call Manager and get the audio and video stream back into your corporate network.

The communication through the VDI client allows for Jabber to send authentication information to the JVDI client along with other media control information.  For example, Jabber and the Jabber VDI agent display all of the audio and video devices connected to the VDI client so you can select the correct devices for use in audio and/or video calls.  Also included in the communication is the location that the Video overlay needs to be placed to it aligns with the Jabber window on your HVD.

In our VMware View environment using Jabber on HVD without JVDI it works, however the audio can at times be poor and challenging to troubleshoot with our home users.  Also in the HVD Jabber there is only one audio output and one audio input device, so ringing and audio communication go across the same device.  With JVDI you can select different devices for ringing and communication, just like if you are running Jabber on a laptop or desktop.  Additionally your packet statistics for calls are now accurate for Jitter and dropped packets. (Our corporate network doesn't drop packets, so a Jabber on HVD with a bad client connection won't show packet loss but will sound like it.  Much easier for HelpDesk to identify where the problem is and try to fix the problem)

My Company is using VMWare View (7.6 I think), with VMWare UAG, MRA, and Jabber.  Some users are using JVDI and others are not. 

Feature request: It would be nice if the JVDI client could somehow be delivered through the Horizon client so the end user doesn't have to install it and update it.  Or maybe at least the JVDI client can update the to matching version of Agent automatically.

We got this working after disable the SSO features!!!!

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much. We had exactly the same issue that the connection doesn't work over MRA with SSO. This is very stupid in my opinion. We use SSO since years for your our internal clients. Now we have to disable it for using JVDI?

Rafael Ochoa
Level 1
Level 1

@Eric0206 Did you only disable SSO at the MRA core?

Hi @Rafael Ochoa ,

I don't know exctly where my collegue disabled SSO but they could to this on a central management per user.
I think they put it in the same config where we have set "EnableVDIFallback".

But at the end it will disable SSO completly for Jabber Logon.
Normally we used ADFS SSO for our internal connected clients. All external clients had already logon with password when starting Jabber.

Our ADFS server is not external available. We also don't have an external IdP.
If there is another solution to disable "SSO" over MRA only it would be very helpfull.

It is only on the fist logon. It will remember the credentials

On in Jabber config on the SSO_Enable parameter to false.