cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Jabber for Windows for single users on multiple PCs

Matthew S
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to have multiple Jabber for Windows devices for a single user on their multiple computers while Security is enabled. 

Currently for a single user they can turn on Jabber for the first time on PC1 and the certificate will be pushed to them and their phone will be registered properly. 

If that same user goes to PC2 and opens Jabber for Windows everything will log in properly but the Phone Service will not be able to register due to it not having a certificate. 

At this point I can manually push a certificate to PC2 to make it work on both devices but this is obviously not a very friendly way to do it. Is there a process that handles this or is this scenario not technically supported? 

Thanks,

Matt 

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't think there's a more elegant way to handle this, as the process that is used, is the same one ip phones use (and they're considered unique), it considers the certificate was properly created and exchanged in the client. The process has no idea that you will use another client in which the certificate has not been created.

You can use the latest Jabber clients which have an option to keep the certificate if you reset Jabber, or if someone else tries other user.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I believe you need to solve this at the OS level with Credential Roaming.
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2009/01/06/certs-on-wheels-understanding-credential-roaming/

Thanks, I'm going to look into this one. 

Just wanted to follow up and see if you know where the actual certificate is stored on a computer?

Type certmgr.msc in Run Prompt & then look for Jabber CSF certificates under Personal folder.

DeVane
Level 1
Level 1

Picture this

I have to win 10  laptops.  Both have Jabber installed. In the Cisco CM I have two Devices built with two different CSF Device names. Both are the same extension. How  do I use one Self Care Portal End User to log both of them in one after another So I can use both at the same time. 

When I try this it always has need logoff the first PC so it can log to the second pc. Never using the second CSF build.

What am I missing. 

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I believe that configuration is not supported. UDS is going to return whatever CSF and the client will try and use it, there’s no selection process. You’d need to change the device configuration, or perhaps use desk control against multiple physical devices. 

regarding the original question in the thread - I believe with roaming profiles this should work. OAuth also seems to be able to resolve this. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: