Helpful
Replies

offline, on a call

j.huizinga
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I am installing Presence 8.6 and jabber 9.0.4

We have an issue that when a user is available and then answers a call (hard phone) the status changes to:

offline, on a call, and never changes back to available.

Is this a problem in jabber client or Presence?

I have tried older versions an also on 9.0.2 , 9.0.3 I saw the problem.

Only 9.0.1 works OK, but here we have a problem with the language.

My customer needs to install jabber for 200 users, and now we are stuck!!

Please help!!

JH

16 Replies 16

I'd like to confirm that we are seeing the same behavior as Mal.  On Jabber 9.0.4 and earlier, following the same steps he described (sign into Jabber, change a setting, exit, sign back in), taking the phone off hook produces a status change to "Offline, on a Call" and remains that way until the user exits and signs back in.  For us, it will often take several cycles of exit/sign in before Jabber will once again properly toggle between "Available" and "On a Call."

I just upgraded to 9.0.5 and once again, our experience mirrors Mal's.  The same thing that causes 9.0.4 to produce "Offline, on a call" now causes the user's status to remain stuck on "Available" even when the phone goes off hook.  It also still takes multiple exit/sign in cycles to get Jabber to handle off hook status changes correctly again.

We are running CUCM 8.6.2 and CUPS 8.6.4.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi,

Some configuration checks provided by Jabber QA team regarding "On a call" status.

Ensure user is associated with the line number

• In CUCM, browse to the CSF device (or desk phone) which is being controlled in Jabber
  • Open its properties and click into the line numbers properties
  • Ensure the user is correctly associated with the line (scroll to bottom of page)

Ensure SIP trunk from CUCM to CUP exists

• Under CUCM – Device – Trunk, ensure a SIP trunk to CUP server exists
  • If not, add one

Possible DNS issue…?

In CUP, hostnames are used in the ‘incoming ACL’ and ‘Outgoing ACL’ sections to add security exceptions for ports used for CUCM communication (including off hook presence). Eg. Browse to:

System->Security-> Incoming ACL

System->Security-> Outgoing ACL

And in each you will see a DNS name entry for your CUCM server. If there are issues resolving these DNS names on your network, the security exceptions will be ignored, so you need to ensure that if you ping the name of your CUCM server from CUP, is resolved to the correct IP. More importantly, you need to ensure that a reverse lookup can be performed on the IP address and the correct DNS name is returned.

A note from one of the CUP engineers relating to why off hook presence might not be working:

• The SIP Proxy on CUP will perform a reverse lookup of the source IP address of the CUCM publish to get it’s DNS hostname
  • It then uses this to find a matching entry in the ACL list.
  • If it does not find a matching entry then the request will not be accepted.

If all else fails..

On CUP, go to

System->Security-> Incoming ACL

System->Security-> Outgoing ACL

• You should see a list of your existing ‘address patterns’, one of which will be the DNS name of your CUCM server
  • Instead of using the DNS name, change this to the IP address of your CUCM server
  • If this works, this proves that there is a DNS issue, and you should ideally resolve this rather than using this as a permanent solution

Thanks,

Maqsood