I was wondering if anyone else had the following issue with Jabber for Windows:
I've got 3 specific users A, B, C
- A can see B as available, and can send them a chat
- B can see both A and C and can send them a chat
- C can see A and CAN receive messages from B but CANNOT send chat to B. Any chat to B says "Message cannot be delivered"
- now if A creates a group chat with B and C, then C only will see A's messages
- other things of note are that no matter what computers any of those users sign into, and no matter whether they're on 9.0.4 or 9.0.5, the issue is still the same.
- if C looks at B from the iPad version of Jabber, the status of B is "Waiting for confirmation"
- the CUPAdmin->Presence->Settings->Allow users to view the availability of other users without being prompted for approval checkbox was already checked and servers have been restarted
- Presence server version is 126.96.36.19900-28
- Jabber for Windows is: 9.0.5 (also tested with 9.0.4)
- noticed this is the epeXXX.log file:
system.pe.storage.presence 1309462 ERROR validation failure: found key(new_row.uid_m, new_row.slotid_m) in table.build_list_given_mfi_uid_slotid() failed to insert row into table(presenceeventtable)
There is already a TAC case for this open, but I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this and noticed any strange or unusal reason why this could happen.
Not definitive solution yet, but what seems to help somewhat is completely deleting the following two directories:
Then do a full reinstall of Jabber 9.0.5
We're doing further testing today and will also attempt failing over to our subscriber to see if things are stable with only the backup Jabber server.
I'll keep you updated
Hi Kris & Jason,
Similar issue, user A sees user B as offline even though they are signed in and available. Also getting lots of "Your message to XYZ could not be delivered".
TAC case open as well. I also noticed that a full delete of the roaming profile and re-install of 9.0.5 helped one user so far. Trying to determine why it only affects some people.
Any updates would be great, and I'll post if we get traction on our case.
So we've done further testing including a failover to our other building. It's still too early to know if this has fixed the problem though. We did notice something regarding our DNS though. Our external address is of the form firstname.lastname@example.org but we've got a subdomain and as such, internal addressing is of the form email@example.com
If you have an individual who's currently got the unidirectional issue, go to:
Presence server -> Cisco Unified Servicability -> Trace -> Configuration ->
Turn on Debug tracing for Presence Engine, Connection Manager, and XCP Router
Then mark down your start time, go and have the two people try and chat (type some words that would be unique and easy to find in the logs), mark down your end time.
Snag the logs for that time frame from the Real Time Monitoring Tool.
You'll find an entry in your client-cm-1_XXX.log file of the actual text message that you're sending between the two users.
You'll might find the following in your epeXXX.txt file:
You'll find an entry or a few entries in your rtr-jsm-1_XXX.log with the email addresses of the two users in question.
Hopefully this will be useful to you.
Thanks Kris, I'll try to pull the logs. Appreciate your feedback. We're in a similar situation which could be the problem. Our IM domain doesn't match our email address format. We found that in the contact list, right click on a contact, view Properties and their "IM address" should match the IM domain of the CUP server, not their email address in our situation. So for the users that are having intermittent presence issues they have the email there.
We're not sure how it got there, or is getting updated. Still working on that piece. To fix it, the user can remove the contact, go into CUP User settings on the browser and add the contact manually with the right domain. We also found deleting the folders you mentioned above and trying to look for the contact again helped.
I'll let you know if we find out why this is happening or what is updating the address incorrectly to the email address.
Your problem symptoms match a recently reported TAC case (users are signed in but some users are unavailable. intermmitent presence status for users of jabber windows). Initial investigation suggested that the issue is caused by meetings plugin. To check if you are hitting same issue, you would need to turn off meetings plugin by changing some files in Jabber for Windows install directory on the machine where user is not seeing presence of online users. The steps are as below:
Exit Jabber and navigate to the following files (you may not have all of them depending on your installation) in Jabber install directory and change the specific lines as mentioned. I have highlighted the change in bold.
1. C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\thirdparty\JabberMeetingPlugin\JabberMeetingPlugin.xml
Change 5th line to
2. C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\services\MeetingServices\MeetingService.xml
Change 4th line to
3. C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\thirdparty\WbxAudioConferencePlugin\WbxAudioConferencePlugin.xml
Change 5th line to
4. C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\services\WebexAudioConferenceService\WebexAudioConferenceService.xml
Change 4th line to
5. Delete all Jabber files in Local and Roaming folders and restart client.
Yes that was my TAC case. The workaround seems to work for the presence issue and IM adddress reverting to email address. But, I had Jabber cause a blue screen for our CFO after applying it and try to answer a call. I copied the Windows dump file. Now I'm concerned about applying the fix across the company. Do you know if this will be a bug fix in 9.06 or 9.1?
No update so far... this appears to still be an issue. Fully quitting Jabber and restarting appears to help sometimes, but is not a guarenteed solution.
Has a defect been raised for this? It is affecting a lot of our users and clearly other customers by the response on this thread. Any help would be great and an official bug ID so we can track it would help tremendously.
Here is defect id and description:
CSCuc51526: Adding users with email addr for IM addr instead of the userid@cupdomain