cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3rdpartygadget Location Best Practice?

billiardjester
Level 1
Level 1

I have been hearing of a push by partners to move all 3rdpartygadgets to a stand-alone gadget server vs the Finesse Server.  They have been claiming that this is the Cisco-recommended Best Practice to ensure that there is NO impact to Finesse Server in any way, shape, or form.

Can Cisco confirm if this is the Best Practice and if so, then is there a middle ground where it is OK to keep the 3rdpartygadgets on the Finesse Server and utilize all of the associated gadget-related overhead that the Finesse Server provides?

And if there is middle ground, then how would you define it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Joe,

Sorry for the late reply. The Finesse team had to check around and dig through history to double check.

Nobody, including myself, is aware of the recommendation that all 3rdparty gadgets should be on a standalone/external web server. So, I will conclude that it is NOT a Cisco recommendation.

It is up to the customer to decide where to put the gadget. You have to make your own decision on a case by case bases based on what the gadget is. If it is a simple gadget that does a screenpop in an iframe, that will not cause any performance impact on the Finesse server so go for it. Now, if your gadget contains 100 files and does a bunch of crazy stuff, then maybe you should stress test it on the Finesse server before you put it into production. And if it impacts the Finesse server, then maybe it is best on an external server.

So again, Cisco does not make a blanket statement on where the 3rd party gadgets should go.

Thanx,

Denise

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dekwan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I am not aware of this best practice coming from Cisco. Gadgets are relatively lightweight on the Finesse server, but of course if you build a crazy custom gadget, you might affect the Finesse server. At the end of the day, you will probably want to do some testing.

I will double check with the Finesse team to confirm whether it is best practice or not.

Thanx,

Denise

Thanks for the response Denise.

I agree with you, but seems our partners heard from someone within Cisco that NO 3rdpartygadgets should be placed on the Finesse Server.

Can't wait to hear what the Finesse Team comes back with to understand the definitive best-practice...

Hi Joe,

Sorry for the late reply. The Finesse team had to check around and dig through history to double check.

Nobody, including myself, is aware of the recommendation that all 3rdparty gadgets should be on a standalone/external web server. So, I will conclude that it is NOT a Cisco recommendation.

It is up to the customer to decide where to put the gadget. You have to make your own decision on a case by case bases based on what the gadget is. If it is a simple gadget that does a screenpop in an iframe, that will not cause any performance impact on the Finesse server so go for it. Now, if your gadget contains 100 files and does a bunch of crazy stuff, then maybe you should stress test it on the Finesse server before you put it into production. And if it impacts the Finesse server, then maybe it is best on an external server.

So again, Cisco does not make a blanket statement on where the 3rd party gadgets should go.

Thanx,

Denise