cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco unified ccx client configuration tool fails on windows 7

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

Has anyone else notices that the cisco unified ccx client configuration tool fails if you run it on a 64 bit Windows 7 box?  Just installed the most recent version of UCCX and was quite disappointed to see this STILL happens on the most recent version requiring us to locate a 32 bit machine just to run it.

Because it downloads as an MSI and not an EXE, compatibility options are not available, nor is the run as option.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has dealt with this and found alternative ways to handle this annoying problem.

TIA

Cliff

5 Replies 5

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I keep a VM of WinXP in my inventory for just such an ocassion.  Is that an option for you?  Are you completely stuck until you get the 32 bit system?

I'm wondering if it's a problem with 32/64 bit versus Win7 UAC.  You kind of mentioned both things.

I cannot recall, does the utility install first, then you run it, or does it simply just run, with no installer?

If you can install it, then run it, I would suggest installing it, quiting it, and then  taking the Program Files (x86) folder for the utility and moving it to the Program Files folder, followed by running it.  This will only work around the 64 bit problem, not the UAC one.

I have seen the CET fail because the path it was accessing was progra~1, which on 32 bit systems is the only Program Files directory, but on 64 bit systems it's actually the 64 Program Files folder, whereas progra~2 is Program Files (x86) for 32 bit applications.

Last, have you tried launching XP Mode first, and then running the app within that environment?  Details on XP Mode:

https://windowssecrets.com/top-story/using-windows-7s-xp-mode-step-by-step/

Good luck, and I agree that it's frustrating we cannot use newer clients to manage our newer systems.

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

Anthony,

I don't think it's an issue with UAC....I have completely disabled UAC and it still throws up. 

The configuration tool doesn't really install, though it does behave like it's going to.  It's packaged as an MSI, and that's part of the problem.  You can't install it and then run it. 

XP mode actually is an option, and it's one of the ways I work around a bunch of things where my 32 bit tools won't work on Windows 7. 

I just find it interesting that (1) no one else has ever mentioned it (2) it's been an issue for a while now and (3) it's still happening (it was an issue in 8.0 and in 8.5). 

Of course, it might just be the "we hate Cliff" feature, and it works fine for everyone else..... 

Cliff

I'm embarassed to say this but, my employer still has me running WinXP.  So for me atleast, I have yet to run into the compatibility issues of Win7+64 bit OS.  Which I understand can be quite the challenge for end users who are installing software.

You said WinXP mode was an option, but I'm not clear on if you have actually tried it yet or not.

To rule out the "we hate Cliff" feature idea, can you ask a coworker to install/run it?

Anthony Holloway

Anthony,

Sorry about that.  Let me be clear.  Using XP mode DOES work to resolve this. 

Having tried this on multiple windows 7 machines, they all behave this way, though I have not had a 32 bit W7 machine to try it on.  I'm not clear if the issue is the 64 bit OS or W7 itself. 

In my issue, I was doing this remotely, and so using XP mode meant not only firing up the XP client, but also setting up VPN access on the virtual machine into the client's infrastructure. 

While this usually works, some VPN's don't like the daisy chained arrangement that the XP virtual machine uses for network access and won't allow it to connect.  I haven't worked out the specifics as to why this happens, just noticed that it does.

But if you can get access to it with the XP virtual machine, the CAD desktop configuration utility DOES work in that environment and can be completed successfully.

CLiff

Good to know.  Thank you for the update.

Anthony Holloway