Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration Manager not able to start it because of failing in Distributor

bilalghayad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All;

I am doing a refresh technology, the old version is ucce 7.2 and the new version is 7.5 (but the new hardware in a new site, while new site has WAN connectoin with production site, so the final target is to have cluster over WAN for the IPCC).

The domain controller is replicated with the production.

RGR is installed and side_A database retored and migrated using the EDMT.

HDS database installed and migrated using the EDMT.

When I did the installation of the AW, I selected real-time and HDS during the installation, IP addresses were given.

Now, when starting the services at the AW machine (which contains also the HDS now), the distributor is not starting successfully but I see the HDS connected with the RGR. So the distributor is not able to do a feed from the RGR.

Distributor updateaw displays:

Real-time feed not active - sleeping for 5 seconds before retry..

And Distributor consol keep doing shutdown (it is like doing restarting ...).

Now, when I try to start the configuration manager, it displays the following:

(-9934) Unable to initialize the real-time feed for instance stc. Unable to proceed until the real-time can be established. The feed may be inactive or you may not have permission to connect to feed.

What could be the reason for this?

Really I was afraid that it is wrong to have a Domain Controller replicated with the production, because I am doing installation for new hardware to be side A for the UCCE, while at the same time there is side A and side B in the production. Does this effect?

While doing trouble shooting, I faced something strange in the registry, that the IP address of the central controller is the IP address of side B of the production, and the SQL database is version 6 (while in the new hardware, I used SQL 2005). What is the reason for this?

I am attaching some snap shot that could help.

Appreciate really the help and I openned TAC in it with Cisco, but the TAC engineer said let me think in it

Regards

Bilal

34 Replies 34

OK I will retry but without partitioning.

But as in the below picture (from the staging document for UCCE version 8), it is mentioning how the partitioning to be done, what is the difference between this partitioning (to put the data on drive D and the log on drive C) and enable the partitioning when creating the database?

By the way: when repreated the installation, I discover that the private network was not connected to the switch (actually I was not caring for it because I am still on side A), but it look like that Router and Logger talk to each other using the private network, correct? So I reconnected the cable for the private network and now I am able to ping the private network. Could this be the reason why it was not working in the first installation? But Distributor talk with Router via Visible, that is why I was think it is not a condition for feeding to have the private network for the logger and router connected.

Any credentials (username and password for SQL database) need to be given in the Registry?

* To login for the SQL, I am using Windows Authentication.

In your LAB, u have a process at the router called rtfeed or it has another name?

Because I even searched in the registry of the RGR machine at rtfeed and did not find any thing. So what could be its name in the registry?

Have u looked for the attachment that I placed for the network interfaces screen that we saw it during the installation of the Router, should I leave it default (and this is what I did)? Because as I know that this is for prerouting which I do not use it in my case.

Special thanks for the support u r giving dear

Regards

Bilal

But as in the below picture (from the staging document for UCCE version 8), it is mentioning how the partitioning to be done, what is the difference between this partitioning (to put the data on drive D and the log on drive C) and enable the partitioning when creating the database?

Don't confuse how you lay out the SQL database with checking the Partitioning box on the AW. ICM "Partitioning" was a way of providing different levels of security for users to the AW data through views. Don't change how you have the SQL server installed - just don't check that box.

Regards,

Geoff

I removed the sideA database and recreated it without partition.

Currently I found in the registry as u c in the attachment the port 40007 at the RealTimeServer which has the process rtsrv (I am assuming this is the process that the Distributor is going to connect for it).

Still when I do netstat -a, I do not see the port 40007 !! And ofcourse not able to telnet to that port from the machine it self.

How about the username and password that used to connect to the database? Should be set from the Registry? Actually I am not using the "sa" username, but I am using the username and password of the Windows OS (that I use them to login for windows for the Domain Controller).

I am also attaching the Registry of the RGR if it can help.

I will try now to repeat again: Remove DB, Uninstall RGR, Install RGR, Create new DB without Partition.

Really I am surprise why I do not see the 40007 port in netstat -a !!

Thanks for your help again.

Regards

Bilal

I removed the sideA database and recreated it without partition.

What we are talking about is the Partitioning check box on the AW. That is a box you should not check.

You can (and should) build your SQL server as the Guide indicates.

Regards,

Geoff

One more thing that is important -- you are building a duplexed Router, but you said you were only working on side A.

If you don't bring up side B, the Router on side A will only go into service (simplexed) if it can see 50% or more of the configured PGs running. So if you start side A Logger and Router, and don't start some PGs, the Router will be waiting for its peer.

Is the Router really in service? Can you show me a screen shot of the rtr process on side A that shows that the config was loaded and the message "All configuration operations complete"  is on the screen?

Regards,

Geoff

Sure I have to send for u snap shot, but I am now doing every thing from beginning (I removed SQL and reinstall it, and same thing for ICM components).

Well, I have a doubt in the Service Account Manager:

Could be the problem that I was leave the setup to create a service accounts, so in the domain controller I did not see accounts created for the Distributor and Logger? In that case I have to do this manual and it is wrong to leave the setup do it?

About SQL, as I understand from the document, it is going to use or Windows Authentication or the "sa" account, depend if to select Mix or only windows, and in both cases it is going to work, correct?

Most probably I was not see "All configuration operations complete" on the screen of the rtr, but sure I will send for u snap shot once I can start the services again.

Could be all of this related to the SAM (that I was not doing it manual)?

Kindly see the attachment for the SAM (actually i start doing this, and this is for HDS).

Regards

Bilal

Well, I have a doubt in the Service Account Manager:

You should not have any doubts - it works correctly.

In my opinion, you seem to take many  opportunities to play with and adjust settings that you should just leave set to the defaults, or for the system to create.

If the installer has the Domain Manager connection to the AD, it will create all the accounts it needs automatically, stored under the Cisco_ICM Organizational Unit. Why do you care what they are?

The only thing you should have done correctly is the installation of SQL.

Here, you should have created a user on the domain for SQL and SQL Agent to run under, and you need to go into Local Users and tweak certain settings, as described in the staging guide. Then when installing SQL, give it this Domain user to run both SQL and SQL Agent under - as described in the staging guide. It will work otherwise - as the Domain Admin, but the above is best practices.

I always create SQL with mixed authentication and set the SQ password. ICM does not use this - it uses named pipes under Windows Authentication, but that's not an issue.

Please just follow the basic install, take the defaults at every turn. If you need to, you can go back and change things.

Regards,

Geoff

Dear Geoff;

It look like the router is not starting well kindly see the attachment.

Really, I do not know what could be the reason for this? !!

MSSQL, I am using local system login (because really using the this account login via domain, it was not start automatically so I have to start the SQL service manually, but using local system login, it start well), but this should not effect.

Database was created using icmdba.exe tool.

After creating the DB, I re-run the installation again (for the logger and router) just to confirm.

I started the services for the ICM (I started the Logger first and then the router), but same issue. I do not see the rtfeed and port 40007 is not openned when i type netstat -a.

Kindly see the attachment for the router.

What could be the reason for this?

I can't see the attachments - it says "QUEUED".

When you start Logger A and then Router A in a duplex environment, the Router will not start until it can talk to Router B; if you don't start Router B, it will wait until it can talk to 50% or more of the configured PGs. Are you doing that?

MSSQL, I am using local system login (because really using the this account login via domain, it was not start automatically so I have to start the SQL service manually, but using local system login, it start well), but this should not effect.

No, in a way it does not matter what login account the SQL Service runs under. But a Domain account with specific Local User tweaks, as specified in the Cisco Staging Guide, is the way to do it.

Regards,

Geoff

When you start Logger A and then Router A in a duplex environment, the Router will not start until it can talk to Router B; if you don't start Router B, it will wait until it can talk to 50% or more of the configured PGs. Are you doing that?

Ops, this I do not know it ... And now I start feel my problem is here !!

Of course it is not possible now to talk with Router B, as I am still in side A.

Now, during the installation of the router, it ask for the number of PG I have, so I selected 4 PGs (because I am going to use CM PG and CVP PG and for side a and side b, so total is 4). But if we are talking about 50% or more of the configured PGs, then I have maybe to re run the setup and select PG to 1 and then I have to switch on the CM PG (which I installed), so the Router A will be able to talk with the CM PG, and here I can satisfy the 50%, which means the Router A will work, am correct?

Are u able to see the attachment now?

Again, it is queued so I am inseting them here:

By the way, appreciate if u can advise me that from where you got to know this information that 50% of PGs should communicate with the Router to be able to start work?

Regards

Bilal

By the way, appreciate if u can advise me that from where you got to know this information that 50% of PGs should communicate with the Router to be able to start work?

To be specific - for a duplexed Call Router to start without its peer:

(a) for the side A Call Router, it must be able to see >= 50% of the number of PGs configured in the registry.

(b) for the side B Call Router, it must be able to see > 50% of the number of PGs configured in the registry.

Note the difference.

Regards,
Geoff

To be specific - for a duplexed Call Router to start without its peer:

(a) for the side A Call Router, it must be able to see >= 50% of the number of PGs configured in the registry.

(b) for the side B Call Router, it must be able to see > 50% of the number of PGs configured in the registry.

Note the difference.
* Thanks for this gold information, it is the solution for me. But in which document I can find it?