Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CVP Call Studio Elements vs Vanilla VXML

Greetings!

I know VXML pretty well and have been working with it for a while but just getting started with CVP Call Studio. Perhaps I'm missing something but there isn't quite feature parity there.

• I recently created a CVP app to answer some basic FAQ questions and give back responses. Having to redeploy the application just to make a change on a TTS prompt is a nightmare. I know there are some workarounds/shortcuts. 
  • I've not been able to find out a way to have multiple prompts for the same results. For instance, if you're creating a virtual assistant it'd be nice to have some of the responses to be 'random' to give it more of a human feel. For example: "Thanks! I'll transfer you now" on one call and "Great! Wait here while find someone to help!" on the next. 
  • Cannot find a way to do prompts for NoMatch or NoInput. It simply repeats and if you want to play help you need to turn those to 1 and create a loop. Seems like needless programming. 
  • The editor in general is not ideal for creating TTS prompts. Prompt Manager could be made much better with a couple small tweaks. 
  • If you do decide to use external VXML - that external VXML cannot be a subdialog because the root document belongs to the CVP app. 
  • While the DialogFlow element is nice it has some serious limitations. No barging in TTS prompts because it plays back the audio output unless you turn that off and then do a TTS prompt with the fulfillment_text.

Hopefully, these are just a result of me being new to CVP and this are not really limitations. Cause...right now I'm not sure why I'd ever want to use CVP and instead use straight VXML and import the appropriate objects to the VXML application to access the same features that CVP offers. Seems like it's another piece of software Cisco has neglected a bit and need to revamp like RTMT and CCX editor. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

janinegraves
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi - I hope this helps you a bit with Studio.

1Q) I recently created a CVP app to answer some basic FAQ questions and give back responses. Having to redeploy the application just to make a change on a TTS prompt is a nightmare. I know there are some workarounds/shortcuts. 

1A) Instead of having to redeploy your Studio app just to change an audio prompt, you could use a variable in the TTS box, and fill that variable from ICM (user.microapp.ToExtVXML array), or from a Sql DB query,  or using the REST element to read the contents of a file from your IIS Media server.

2Q) I've not been able to find out a way to have multiple prompts for the same results. For instance, if you're creating a virtual assistant it'd be nice to have some of the responses to be 'random' to give it more of a human feel. For example: "Thanks! I'll transfer you now" on one call and "Great! Wait here while find someone to help!" on the next. 

2A) Again, you could use a variable in the TTS box, and you could use the Studio SetValue element to generate a random number and select a phrase from a JavaScript array or DB return value.

3Q)Cannot find a way to do prompts for NoMatch or NoInput. It simply repeats and if you want to play help you need to turn those to 1 and create a loop. Seems like needless programming. 

3A) Within a Form element (or any element that collects caller input), in the Audio tab, if you right-click on AudioGroups - you can add NoMatch1, NoMatch2, etc reprompts (these must include the entire reprompt). Similarly, you can create  repeatable NoInput and Help audio groups.

4Q) The editor in general is not ideal for creating TTS prompts. Prompt Manager could be made much better with a couple small tweaks.

4A) The configuration for each element is stored in the Studio app in the folder Appname/callflow/pages/pagename/elements/elementName. If you really wanted to, you could modify the prompting for each element there (just back up the app first in case you screw up).  Or in a pinch, you could do it on VxmlServer in the VxmlServer/applications/appname/data/configuration/elementName - then run the updateApp.bat script

5Q) If you do decide to use external VXML - that external VXML cannot be a subdialog because the root document belongs to the CVP app.

5A) I don't know if that's true. If you use the SubdialogInvoke element, I believe you can put in a full URL and point to any VXML Subdialog code that you wish. 

6Q) While the DialogFlow element is nice it has some serious limitations. No barging in TTS prompts because it plays back the audio output unless you turn that off and then do a TTS prompt with the fulfillment_text.

6A) AGREED!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

janinegraves
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi - I hope this helps you a bit with Studio.

1Q) I recently created a CVP app to answer some basic FAQ questions and give back responses. Having to redeploy the application just to make a change on a TTS prompt is a nightmare. I know there are some workarounds/shortcuts. 

1A) Instead of having to redeploy your Studio app just to change an audio prompt, you could use a variable in the TTS box, and fill that variable from ICM (user.microapp.ToExtVXML array), or from a Sql DB query,  or using the REST element to read the contents of a file from your IIS Media server.

2Q) I've not been able to find out a way to have multiple prompts for the same results. For instance, if you're creating a virtual assistant it'd be nice to have some of the responses to be 'random' to give it more of a human feel. For example: "Thanks! I'll transfer you now" on one call and "Great! Wait here while find someone to help!" on the next. 

2A) Again, you could use a variable in the TTS box, and you could use the Studio SetValue element to generate a random number and select a phrase from a JavaScript array or DB return value.

3Q)Cannot find a way to do prompts for NoMatch or NoInput. It simply repeats and if you want to play help you need to turn those to 1 and create a loop. Seems like needless programming. 

3A) Within a Form element (or any element that collects caller input), in the Audio tab, if you right-click on AudioGroups - you can add NoMatch1, NoMatch2, etc reprompts (these must include the entire reprompt). Similarly, you can create  repeatable NoInput and Help audio groups.

4Q) The editor in general is not ideal for creating TTS prompts. Prompt Manager could be made much better with a couple small tweaks.

4A) The configuration for each element is stored in the Studio app in the folder Appname/callflow/pages/pagename/elements/elementName. If you really wanted to, you could modify the prompting for each element there (just back up the app first in case you screw up).  Or in a pinch, you could do it on VxmlServer in the VxmlServer/applications/appname/data/configuration/elementName - then run the updateApp.bat script

5Q) If you do decide to use external VXML - that external VXML cannot be a subdialog because the root document belongs to the CVP app.

5A) I don't know if that's true. If you use the SubdialogInvoke element, I believe you can put in a full URL and point to any VXML Subdialog code that you wish. 

6Q) While the DialogFlow element is nice it has some serious limitations. No barging in TTS prompts because it plays back the audio output unless you turn that off and then do a TTS prompt with the fulfillment_text.

6A) AGREED!

Fantastic tips! Going to go play with that today.