cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX 12.5 Script Editor Web Launcher won't work on Mac M1 with Java8?

patrickkng1
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to use UCCX Script Editor Web Launcher (from UCCX 12.5.1.SU2), with Java version "1.8.0_391". Using Java Web Start to run the jnlp file, the UCCX Editor login screen pops up, login was successful. But after that no editor pane shows up and no error message. I'm running it on MacBook M1 on Ventura 13.6. Any idea?

6 Replies 6

helpcenterus
Spotlight
Spotlight

@patrickkng1 If I am not mistaken, then the UCCX 12.5 Script Editor Web Launcher may encounter compatibility issues on Mac M1 devices with Java 8. This could be due to the architecture mismatch between the ARM-based Mac M1 and Java 8, which may not fully support the new architecture. Consider updating to a version of Java that is compatible with the ARM architecture on Mac M1, or explore alternative solutions for running the UCCX Script Editor on this platform.

You're probably right about Java 8. The problem is Java Web Start was deprecated with Java 9, and removed entirely starting with Java 11. I've attempted to use Java 9 with the CCX editor with no success. I also unsuccessfully tried OpenWebStart. I'd be very interested if anyone has found a workaround.

Edit: some additional reading. Cisco documentation https://developer.cisco.com/docs/contact-center-express/#!cisco-unified-ccx-editor-web-launcher says "To use Unified CCX Editor with Java 8 and earlier, use Java Web Start. For Java 9 and later, use OpenWebStart. For more information on OpenWebstart, go to Install OpenWebStart."

But that Install OpenWebStart page says "OpenWebStart supports only JVM version 1.8 in Cisco Unified CCX Editor ."

This isn't your issue, but thought it might be handy to compare the versions that Cisco said don't have this issue/where it works with Mac, in case you want to see if perhaps you have a version with other known issues?
https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvs25768

patrickkng1
Level 1
Level 1

I've opened a SR for this issue and it seems to relate to an application JVM exception with message "Unable to get current process id", engineering team is still investigating this issue as we speak...

sboichuk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

try to use CrossOver or Wine + common install file for Windows from UCCX. It will work work fine.

As for me it works. on MacBook M2  on Ventura 13.4. There could be some bugs but not critical.

I have been unable to get it to work with CrossOver -- can you share any configuration details? What Windows version did you use for the Crossover bottle? Did you have to install Java manually? Which version?

I have tried a few different Windows versions, and the CCX editor installer goes through the motions but nothing ever shows up in Crossover. I tried manually installing Java 8, which did the same -- no surprise, since CrossOver tags Java 8 with a "Will Not Install" warning. As an experiment, I tried Java 7, which I didn't expect to work with the editor. It installed, and allowed me to install the CCX editor. I can launch the editor and get the login screen, but it won't take any keyboard input.