Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX Advanced Quality Management with VMware View

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I have a customer who uses UCCX 8.5 with VMware View clients running CAD and 7940 IP phones.

They are looking at recording options and have expressed an interest in the Advanced Quality Management product.

There are a few issues that I would need to consider specific to their environment.

The first is that Desktop based recording would not work in this environment as CAD is running on a virtual desktop rather than a PC daisy chained to the IP phone. The second is that network based recording is not supported as the 7940 phones do not have a Built in Bridge.

This leaves server based recording which uses SPAN port mirroring. The issue with this is that the agents phones are distributed across multiple Catalyst switches so I guess I would need to configure RSPAN - has anyone got any experience of using Cisco QM with RSPAN? - if yes how well did it work? - the customer would probably be willing to upgrade the IP phones used by the agents if that would be a better option.

The final query relates to the Screen Recording Client - the install guide details how to install this on a Citrix server but makes n mention of VMware view. Does anyone know if support for this is on the roadmap?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi James

I've done an RSPAN deployment with UCCX recording which I presume will have similar gotchas...

The only issue I had was that I ham fisted an RSPAN config in that SPANned the VVLAN on all the edge switches. My mistake was that I didn't exclude the uplink ports, and these switches were stacked, so there was a lot of packet duplication initially (sounds like 90s dance music time stretching).

If you ensure you SPAN ingress only on all the endpoints (i.e. phones, and gateways) and then exclude any ports where traffic might be seen a second time (e.g. switch uplinks), and then filter for the voice VLAN  you should be OK.

This deployment was a routed LAN with different subnets on each edge stack but this worked OK with everything running through a single RSPAN session back to the server.

I've not had the good fortune to have to do this more than a couple of times, and I've not done it for AQM  - but assuming that SPAN/RSPAN are supported along with the video recording part running on the endpoints I don't see it being too different as they seem to be written by the same people.

Can't help re: VMware view either I'm afraid... 

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi James

I've done an RSPAN deployment with UCCX recording which I presume will have similar gotchas...

The only issue I had was that I ham fisted an RSPAN config in that SPANned the VVLAN on all the edge switches. My mistake was that I didn't exclude the uplink ports, and these switches were stacked, so there was a lot of packet duplication initially (sounds like 90s dance music time stretching).

If you ensure you SPAN ingress only on all the endpoints (i.e. phones, and gateways) and then exclude any ports where traffic might be seen a second time (e.g. switch uplinks), and then filter for the voice VLAN  you should be OK.

This deployment was a routed LAN with different subnets on each edge stack but this worked OK with everything running through a single RSPAN session back to the server.

I've not had the good fortune to have to do this more than a couple of times, and I've not done it for AQM  - but assuming that SPAN/RSPAN are supported along with the video recording part running on the endpoints I don't see it being too different as they seem to be written by the same people.

Can't help re: VMware view either I'm afraid... 

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

ausjustin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi James

I had same issue at moment ... so what type for recording you choiced ?  is it Desktop recording NOT working with vmware view ?

Thanks

Justin

Hi Justin,

In the end they just decided to record voice traffic and we did this using RSPAN which worked ok.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Regards

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: