cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX check time of day (TOD) from XML file

jim-j
Level 3
Level 3

I know how to do a basic holiday check from an XML file.  What I'd like to be able to do is check time of day (TOD) in an XML file.  For example if the CSQ is going to be closed for a half day on 12/24/17 I'd like to be able to enter this in my XML file.  Below is an example of how I could imagine entering the TOD info in an XML file (but I don't know if this is valid XML).  I'm thinking if I could read nested tags in the XML then I could read time values if they're entered for a holiday entry.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<Holidays>
       <Holiday1>12/24/17</Holiday1>
            <todStart>1200</todStart>
            <todEnd>1700</todEnd>
       <Holiday2>12/25/17</Holiday2>
       <Holiday3>12/30/17</Holiday3>
</Holidays>
25 Replies 25

Right on.  I like your inclusion of the Exception handler.  Have you seen this:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/112046/uccx-discovering-exceptions

Wow, I didn't know there used to be so many different types of exceptions!  I'm using 10.6, I've never tried using On Exception with earlier versions of UCCX.  Excellent doc (and script), thank you for sharing.

jbushong2
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have to have the holiday and time of day settings in an XML file? Is something auto-generating the file for you?

I have created a holiday sub-script for all of my main scripts that not only determines if it is a holiday for the specific application (departments have different holidays), but also plays the prompt stating what holiday the department is closed for (using TTS). Since this sub-script is associated with an application, I just change the holiday application one a year. I'm thinking the time of day could be set in this application as well and then that variable could be brought over only when necessary for the individual application. This would eliminate the use of xml documents all together.

Of course, there are always about 5 different ways to get the same result in scripting.

Thanks for the reply and additional point of view.  I wouldn't have to use XML files.  It seems like XML will cause me more initial pain to get it working, but once I've got it working I assume that editing/adding an XML file won't be any harder than editing a list of dates in a script.

Additionally, one part of my grand master plan for world domination includes giving the caller the ability to write to an XML file to schedule call center closures themselves.  So if I need to check an XML for some of the closure logic I thought it best to keep all of my closure info in XML files.

If there's something inherently bad about using XML files I could be talked out of it (but then I don't know how I'd give callers the ability to schedule manual closures themselves).

I would always place data out of the script - for the same reason as you have: Ease of admin for the customers. Having stuff like opening hours and holidays directly in the script is not scaleable or manageable by the customer.

If you want to make it even easier make a front end to those XML files.

So how does the end user change the xml file themselves? I haven't seen a process that would allow them to do this without them accessing the actual file. Then you need someone with xml knowledge. I have been using the application side to change the holiday dates, not an xml at all. It does require me to change the dates, but I dont touch the script.

John B.

Could be a webserver, generating xml files based on database or Excel saved to XML and put on webserver or uploaded via /appadmin.

Personal preference is having a webservice to feed CCX via XML

I plan on using a separate script to allow the user to call in and schedule the activation.  In my plan this will require a separate "manual" XML file.  This is a phase 2 project for me, so I haven't worked on it yet.  I'm sure the other UCCX gurus here have much cooler ways of doing this, so if anyone else has a better way they want to share I'm all ears.  :)

I do use CCX "tools" applications where users call in and change the closed reason or even change prompts on the fly, all using changes to the xml or actual prompts. It works well.

I just didn't know if anyone had a process that did not include the end-user messing around with the raw file. Most people here can't spell xml.

Using webservice to do it without messing around in raw data

Setting data:

GUI/frontend webservice - (SQL)> Database

CCX http call -> Webservice -(SQL)> Database 

Getting Data:

CCX Get xml-(XML)> Webservice -(SQL)> Database  

And doesn't take much of a developler to create a simple page for opening and closing hours.

Hi,

I've trying to figure this out myself and I see you have it working.

Do you mind sharing how you made the work. There are times the agents go into meeting and agent in not ready state or log out. I 'd like for them to be able to call a number to open and meeting.