cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX Step upgrade - license requirement

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

When doing a step upgrade from UCCX 10.5 to 11.6 to 12.5, is it necessary to relicense the UCCX HA cluster at 11.6 prior to the 12.5 upgrade, or can you just go straight through?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

The HA scenario works the same way.  Apparently no need to license at the intermediate step (at least going from 10.6 to 12.5). 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think you do need to license 11.6, but I cannot say for certain, and here's two reason why I think that:

1) The upgrade guide for 12.5 states:

"If you are using any prior release of Unified CCX, you have to upgrade to 11.6.x or 12.0 and then upgrade to 12.5."

Which to me means that you need to read and follow the 11.6 upgrade guide in its entirety, to include post upgrade tasks, such as licensing it.

2) An unlicensed system should not let the Engine and other components run, as they are activated via a license.  Therefore, when you run the upgrade file, it should fail, because it cannot obtain/communicate with the components it needs to for a successful upgrade.

Those are just my thoughts, as I have not had to perform this type of upgrade yet.  I'll monitor this thread, just in case someone else, has concrete evidence of what's actually needed.  Good luck on your research and upgrade!

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

I set this up in my lab going from 10.6 to 11.6 to 12.5.   I put the demo license on and confirmed things were working at 10.6, and then did the upgrade to 11.6.

From 11.6, I did the upgrade to 12.5.  I did not do anything to license it at 11.6. 

Once the 12.5 upgrade was complete, it gave me the dialog asking how I want to license it.  If you are using classic licenses, it forces you to load them at that point.  But if you're going cloud, it puts you into the 60 day demo mode, and the system starts up normally. 

Haven't tried it with an HA configuration, but it certainly worked with a single server.

Good to know. So, mark your post as solved then?

I want to lab up the HA scenario and confirm it works the same way. My concern is that while the pub will definitely work, I know there may be issues with the HA partner.

Roger that!  Thanks for taking the time to confirm this for the community!

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

The HA scenario works the same way.  Apparently no need to license at the intermediate step (at least going from 10.6 to 12.5).