Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX when to use Terminate Step

I've seen other posts related to this, but I'm still a little confused about when to use the Terminate step in a UCCX script.   I had always thought that you should use the Terminate step to not only terminate any call legs, but to also free up any resources UCCX had allocated to the call during the execution of the script.   I've been using this step at the end of all my UCCX scripts for years.

I'm now adding functionality to a script that sends an email when a caller abandons the call.   I'm using a Contact Inactive exception to accomplish this.   What I'm finding is that even if the call is routed to an agent, as soon as it hits my Terminate step, the script throws an exception and follows my exception logic.

So my question is, when is the correct time to use the Terminate step?   Is it only used when you want to forcibly disconnect a caller such as in a callback scenario?

Thanks,

Glenn

2 Replies 2

I've never read any best practice on this, but here's how I do it.

1. Do not use the terminate state in a CSQ (see next one).

2. Only use a terminate step when you're done with the call and want to disconnect the call. For example, after hours.

3. Always use a terminate step and don't let the call just go to the end of the script and timeout.

david

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
The documentation can sometimes be a little vague, but that's probably because it assumes quite a bit about the reader's familiarity with the product and terminology. However, the documentation on the Terminate step is quite striaght forward, in my opinion, on what it does to a call.

"The call is disconnected"

Source: https://developer.cisco.com/docs/contact-center-express/#!terminate-step

Other than the obvious of freeing up resources related to handling the phone call (CCG and Media Group), the script is still holding on to many more resources like your variables.

I would only use the Terminate step, as a best practice, when you want to control the end of the phone call. Otherwise, let the caller decide when they're done, and hang up themselves. With that said, the #1 place I see the Terminate step used, like David said, is after hours, right after you play the closed message (and assuming no voicemail is taken). Second to that, is probably at the conclusion of initiating callback request.