cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding how SIP Refer "rfXXX" transfers work

jc12
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to understand how using a sip refer transfer in a label node changes the call routing.  From what I understand, placing an "rf" in front of the DID or TFN I am trying to send the call to, sends the call to my defined sip server group, in my case the egress gateway.

I have two dial-peers on the gateway going out, 1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx and also [2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx.  When I place the rf in front of the 1234567890 it fails, when I place it in front of the 234567890 it works.

rf1234567890

rf234567890

Basically one is using 11 digit dialing by adding a 1 and the other using 10 digit dialing.  If I have both 10 and 11 digit dialing covered on the gateway they both should work.

Thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Simply put refer sends the call back to originator of the call to refer to the new destination. So, if a call arrvies at ingress voice gateway and is delivered to UCCE script via CVP, etc. when it is refer transfered to another destnation it goes back to the ingress GW and will be redirected from there via another matching dial peer for the new destiantion. This also allows to release the call from CVP control, so most often is used for simply transfers to non-agent destination, i.e. voicemail, phone extension, external number, etc.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Simply put refer sends the call back to originator of the call to refer to the new destination. So, if a call arrvies at ingress voice gateway and is delivered to UCCE script via CVP, etc. when it is refer transfered to another destnation it goes back to the ingress GW and will be redirected from there via another matching dial peer for the new destiantion. This also allows to release the call from CVP control, so most often is used for simply transfers to non-agent destination, i.e. voicemail, phone extension, external number, etc.

So if there is a specific route for (4567) in the dialed number pattern in OAMP that points to my ingress GW, how is the rf4567 versus the 4567 different?

If I didn't have a specific route for my transfer and prefixed the outgoing label with rf it goes to the ingress gw.

If I have a specific route in OAMP for my transfer to the ingress gw.

Thanks for the reply, still just trying to see the difference in the two scenarios above. 

The big benefit of Refer transfer is that it removes CVP from "controlling" the call, thus preventing it from pulling the call based on Ring No Answer parameters, etc.  So, if you need to send the call to some destination which lets say rings for 60 seconds it can do that without being intercepted by CVP and sent to RNA destination. 

Chris

Why would you have the CVP Ring No Answer timer set on any Static Route that is not going to be able to interpret the Requery correctly? A Queue node and a Label node can do that of course. The agent not answering the ringing phone is the most common use so the RNA is applied to the pattern going to UCM for your agents. Should it be set elsewhere?
Regards,
Geoff

Thank you both for your responses.

So, if I am trying to send a call offsite via a label node, would you say it is best pratice to use a SIP referr (rfXXX) transfer thus releasing CVP from the call flow and then making sure the ingress GW has the appropriate dial-peers to handle the off-site transfers?

In this call flow example the caller doesn't even reach an agent.  The call simply comes in for prompting and if they select a certian option they will be routed back out.

Hi, just looking at this 

I need to send calls either to hunt pilot in ccm from UCCE or to external pstn destinations. 

At the moment I create a unique dnp with rona timer not set in cpv ops manager or if it is set then I set  Up line connectors in the script to loop the call out of the label via the requery x again--may not be good but it works

Now if I have a label with say rf12125551234   and I route it to a gw would the Dial-peer destination patten just need to be 12125551234?

What about if I direct if to ccm?

Thanks

Yes, unless you are using significant digits in CVP, if so this pattern will need to include the sigDigits in from i.e. assume you use sigDigits such as 555XX (where XX tags a specific GW/site) then the pattern on GW would need to match 555..12125551234, and the 555.. would need to be stripped.

Hi, just looking at this 

I need to send calls either to hunt pilot in ccm from UCCE or to external pstn destinations. 

At the moment I create a unique dnp with rona timer not set in cpv ops manager or if it is set then I set  Up line connectors in the script to loop the call out of the label via the requery x again--may not be good but it works

Now if I have a label with say rf12125551234   and I route it to a gw would the Dial-peer destination patten just need to be 12125551234?

What about if I direct if to ccm?

Thanks