Views
Helpful
Replies

VVB 12.6(1) - ASR/TTS configured to a VIP

smcarthur444
Level 1
Level 1

Got a customer, running VVB 12.6(1)

They are looking to change ASR/TTS configurations from specific Nuance IPs to VIP IPs.

The goal: load balancing/high availabilityVIP.png

1. Is this Cisco recommended?

2. If yes, has anyone else done this and any issues?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The compatibility matrix doesn't list VVB as a component supporting load balancers. Also the VVB configuration mentions "You need to specify the ASR server hostname or IP address that is local with Cisco VVB node while installing the ASR server software in this field." no mention of VIP option.
Not to say it won't work, but might not be supported. Is this an upgrade that will be going through Cisco A2Q, they'd likely be able to give you the definitive answer if it is supported.

View solution in original post

What is the VIP actually get you? Specially with ASR you'll want to stick the connection to a single ASR server otherwise troubleshooting is going to be a huge pain. Besides what @bill.king1 said that it might not be supported, I don't see the benefit of this design.

david

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

The compatibility matrix doesn't list VVB as a component supporting load balancers. Also the VVB configuration mentions "You need to specify the ASR server hostname or IP address that is local with Cisco VVB node while installing the ASR server software in this field." no mention of VIP option.
Not to say it won't work, but might not be supported. Is this an upgrade that will be going through Cisco A2Q, they'd likely be able to give you the definitive answer if it is supported.

That's all i saw as well.

What is the VIP actually get you? Specially with ASR you'll want to stick the connection to a single ASR server otherwise troubleshooting is going to be a huge pain. Besides what @bill.king1 said that it might not be supported, I don't see the benefit of this design.

david

This was proposed by a 3rd party vendor. This is their reason, '..suggests clustering the existing servers in two separate VIPs in a high availability design..'  -  Existing servers meaning Nuance.

Thank you both for your feedback.

I would be curious, if you have to go to Cisco A2Q review as part of your install/expansion, what they would say (i.e. it's something they need to update as supported/not supported specifically, etc.). If you do hear anything from them/official from Cisco, can you share it here? Good luck on your project.