cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1000V port channel to N5K w/ FCOE

jpazahanick
Level 4
Level 4

Is it possible to port channel 2 10G ports on the Nexus 1000V (Emulex CNAs) with 2 10G ports on the Nexus 5000 if the ports on the Nexus 5000 ports are also doing FCOE?

I am getting the following error:

N5k(config-if-range)# int  e1/5-6
N5k(config-if-range)# channel-group 10 mode on
command failed: port not compatible [port mode]

Previously I was getting an error along the lines of "Port already assigned to virtual interface (VIF).

The configuration of the 5k is attached.

Thanks,

46 Replies 46

Robert .... I am not using Linux or VMWare as you can see from my previous posts ...

I am using a Windows machine ... Windows 2008

Thanks

Nuno Ferreira

My mistake.  I'll whip this up in the lab quickly and let you know if I have the same issues.

Stay tuned.

Robert

Thanks Robert ....

It is very strange ... but I have updated the drivers, firmware and software to the latest versions in the QLogic website ... and as soon as I turn on vpc on the port channel (to the host) bang ... it dies ...

I am positive about my config (which you can see on the previous posts) So if you need any more info please let me know

on the Nexus I am running as below ...

Software
  BIOS:      version 1.2.0
  loader:    version N/A
  kickstart: version 4.1(3)N1(1)
  system:    version 4.1(3)N1(1)
  BIOS compile time:       06/19/08
  kickstart image file is: bootflash:/n5000-uk9-kickstart.4.1.3.N1.1.bin
  kickstart compile time:  7/23/2009 17:00:00 [07/24/2009 00:53:59]
  system image file is:    bootflash:/n5000-uk9.4.1.3.N1.1.bin
  system compile time:     7/23/2009 17:00:00 [07/24/2009 01:42:52]

Thanks again

Nuno Ferreira

Having same issue here.  Even to a single N5K statuc Port Channel, connectivity is not there.  VPC and single N5K behavoir is the same, as soon as I shut one link, connectivity is restored.  vPC is not the issue, it's the QL8152 and its balancing algorithm I believe.  I'll follow up internally and report back.

Regards,

Robert

Robert ...

Thanks for that.

i thought the vPC would not be the problem ...

Anyway I tried both load balanced and fail-over and none would work upon vPC configuration ....

You are going to report this and what should I expect ? Shall I also report this here in the UK ? Or shall I wait for something from you ?

Thanks

Nuno Ferreira

Standby.  I have taps into N5K & QL development teams.

Should have some answers by tomorrow.

Robert

Thanks Robert .. I will standby

Nuno Ferreira

Nuno and Rob,

I came across this problem with ESX few times but not with windows yet. but Rob is correct. This is hashing algorithem issue on host side. On ESX, the only one is compatiable with cisco port-channel is ip based hashing.

What NIC teaming software are you using? I didn't see on previous posts. I know you have Qlogic CNA but you probably using intel software to create NIC teaming interface. If you are using intel software to create the teaming then, it looks like you have to use static link aggregation.

You probably have to remove the teaming and recreate with wizards. Also, you may need to shut down port-channel on n5k first until you configure everything on the host then bring the port-channel up on the uplink. Static link aggregation should match with static port-channel on your uplink switch.

thanks

Picture+3.png

Kang,

These are Gen2 QL cards, so the Ethernet driver & teaming Software are all supplied by QL.  The software suite we're using is SanSurfer CNA Networking CLI.  By the description provided by Nuno, he's using the same.

I'm passed this concern to my QL contacts.  They are folllowing up internally.   I should hear back early this week coming.

Robert

Hi Kang / Robert,

Robert is correct. I am using the QLogic software (SanSurfer and all that. All the info regarding software is in previous posts)

I am on standby for Robert output regarding his investigations / contacts

Thanks all

Nuno Ferreira

Nuno/Kang,

Heard back from QLogic.  LACP on Windows is NOT supported yet.

Here's their support matrix for LACP with 1st & 2nd Gen CNAs.

LACP port channel

QLE8042 +windows

Yes

QLE8042 +VMware

Yes with Nexus 1000v

QLE8042 +Linux

Yes

QLE81xx +windows

Not yet…H2CY10

QLE81xx +VMware

Yes with Nexus 1000v

QLE81xx +Linux

Yes

Hi Rob,

Thank you very much for you help.

Can you please let me know if they are going to release an updated software version that would allow this ?

Does QLogic or Cisco have some plans to allow vPC to work to these cards ?

Thanks again

Nuno Ferreira

OK ... I was being dumb ... Saw the date on the support matrix

Thanks

Nuno Ferreira

By the way Robert ...

Is there any document around that (or can you let me know) what are the best practices in the meantime ?

So my question is ... if we can't aggregate the 2 ports by creating a lacp in a vcp ... then what are the best practices at this stage ?

Thanks

Nuno Ferreira

With Windows you can still use a static port channel VPC's (mode on).  With Linux of VMware & 1000v you have the flexibility of using LACP for PCs.

Keep in mind this isn't a Cisco limiation, but a Qlogic driver one.  As soon as they release support for Windows systems you can change your Port channels to use LACP.

Robert