cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

N6K-C6004-96Q Needs license to add and use slot 5 to 8 ?

erick.mephon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have been running into trouble with the first module in a N6K and are searching for a workaround.

We want to add a module on a N6K-C6004-96Q. Using fixed (non removable) slots 3 to 4 requires a license (L-N6004-12Q-LIC) but what about slot 5 to 8 which are empty and can take a N6K-C6004-M12Q= module in order to add 12 ports, is it necessary to add a license for it too ?

Regards,

MEPHON Erick.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Erick,

Each instance of the L-N6004-12Q-LIC license file authorizes you to use storage services on 48x10G interfaces or 12x40G interfaces. It does not matter whether the interfaces in question are the fixed LEMs in slots 3 and 4, or on an N6K-C6004-M12Q module inserted in slots 5 through 8.

To directly answer your question - if you install an N6K-C6004-M12Q module in an empty slot of the N6K-C6004-96Q chassis, you will need an L-N6004-12Q-LIC license file present on the bootflash to comply with Cisco licensing if you use interfaces on that module.

I hope this helps - thank you!

-Christopher

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Erick,

Each instance of the L-N6004-12Q-LIC license file authorizes you to use storage services on 48x10G interfaces or 12x40G interfaces. It does not matter whether the interfaces in question are the fixed LEMs in slots 3 and 4, or on an N6K-C6004-M12Q module inserted in slots 5 through 8.

To directly answer your question - if you install an N6K-C6004-M12Q module in an empty slot of the N6K-C6004-96Q chassis, you will need an L-N6004-12Q-LIC license file present on the bootflash to comply with Cisco licensing if you use interfaces on that module.

I hope this helps - thank you!

-Christopher

Alright thank you Christopher,

Do you know why in the description they say Storage services ? What is being describe as storage services exactly ? Is it the module end usage ?

One side question what does happen to buying a license when the device is EOL & EOS for example ?

Regards,

MEPHON Erick.

Hello Christopher,

I'm a few years late as I really did not see your reply earlier, thank you.

Best Regards