cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9000:vPC domain ID

YEH
Level 1
Level 1

If the vpc domain ID is the same between different pairs of leaf switches in the following configuration, is there any impact?
We are aware that the vpc domain ID affects the LACP system ID, so it should not be a problem unless LACP is configured between different pairs.
We actually configured it and found no abnormality in the vpc status.

vpc domain id.PNG 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

r.heitmann
Level 1
Level 1

I think, you're absolutely right:

• Domain-ID is used to calculate the vPC 
    system-mac = 00:23:04:ee:be:<domain-id>​

If you don't want to

• connect two VPC domains "back-to-back" reusing the same domain-id for both domains
  • connect an non-VPC device (your firewall) spanned over both VPC domains using LACP

you should be fine.

Cisco itself state at Best Practices for Virtual Port Channels (vPC) that you can re-use the same Domain-ID even in back-to-back scenarios if you manually modify the system-mac to make it unique:

"If user absolutely wants to use the same domain-id on both vPC domains, then knob system-mac (under vPC
domain configuration context) must be used to force different vPC system-mac values."

"However, vPC system-mac is used only with vPC attached access devices while vPC local system-mac is used
with single attached devices (orphan port or active/standby with or without STP) Figure 10 illustrates how vPC
system-mac and vPC local system-mac are used. 

View solution in original post

ericnich
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's strongly recommended to keep vPC domain IDs unique across a broadcast domain (continuous layer 2 network). LACP is one reason, but it's not the only one. For example, two vPC pairs with peer-switch enabled* and the same vPC domain will have the same MAC address for STP purposes. This causes unexpected blocking or loops in some cases.

* It's unsupported to configure a non-root vPC pair with peer-switch, but some deployments have this regardless.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

r.heitmann
Level 1
Level 1

I think, you're absolutely right:

• Domain-ID is used to calculate the vPC 
    system-mac = 00:23:04:ee:be:<domain-id>​

If you don't want to

• connect two VPC domains "back-to-back" reusing the same domain-id for both domains
  • connect an non-VPC device (your firewall) spanned over both VPC domains using LACP

you should be fine.

Cisco itself state at Best Practices for Virtual Port Channels (vPC) that you can re-use the same Domain-ID even in back-to-back scenarios if you manually modify the system-mac to make it unique:

"If user absolutely wants to use the same domain-id on both vPC domains, then knob system-mac (under vPC
domain configuration context) must be used to force different vPC system-mac values."

"However, vPC system-mac is used only with vPC attached access devices while vPC local system-mac is used
with single attached devices (orphan port or active/standby with or without STP) Figure 10 illustrates how vPC
system-mac and vPC local system-mac are used. 

Thank you for your response.
I now understand that in the case of double-sided vPC where LACP is used between vPC domains, both domains need to be recognized as separate devices, so the vPC system-MAC needs to be different (different vPC domain id).
I am relieved to know that in the above configuration, there is no problem to build with the same vPC domain Id.

Darian O'Dirling - TCE
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @YEH ,

@r.heitmann gave an excellet answer. I would like to share this video made by one of my peers that discusses Layer 3 routing over vPC and the vPC enhancements needed to successfully create a routing adjacency over a vPC enabled vlan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_xAZJpqRiM

This video is going to discuss Layer 3 routing over vPC and the vPC enhancements needed to successfully create a routing adjacency over a vPC enabled vlan. Tags: vpc,layer3,routing

Hi @Darian O'Dirling - TCE 

Thanks for sharing the great video. I will watch and study this.

ericnich
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's strongly recommended to keep vPC domain IDs unique across a broadcast domain (continuous layer 2 network). LACP is one reason, but it's not the only one. For example, two vPC pairs with peer-switch enabled* and the same vPC domain will have the same MAC address for STP purposes. This causes unexpected blocking or loops in some cases.

* It's unsupported to configure a non-root vPC pair with peer-switch, but some deployments have this regardless.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card