cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Word of the Week: Proxmox

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Proxmox is a free and open-source virtualization management platform that simplifies the deployment and management of virtual machines (VMs) and containers. This comprehensive solution utilizes the Linux operating system, KVM hypervisor, and LXC container technology. It can be installed on a standalone server or on a cluster of servers, and it provides a user-friendly web-based interface for managing VMs and containers.

beelink ser6.jpg

Recently, I was able to successfully install Proxmox on a Mini PC costing $550 (click on image for info). This Mini PC has an 8-core/16-threads CPU, 32GB DDR5 memory, 500GB SSD storage, Wifi6, and 2.5Gb Lan. Remarkably, the PC only consumes 5watt of power when idle and 45watt when running at full capacity. With Docker and Portainer installed on an LXC container running Debian 11.3, I can efficiently manage all my Docker-based applications like Plex, Nextcloud, PiHole, and Homeassistant, OpenWRT, etc.

In addition, I have also created a few K3s Kubernetes clusters where each node is running on Ubuntu 22.04. I have also installed several Windows 10/11 VMs and even a Hackintosh Monterey image on another VM. To host my websites, I have set up a Ubuntu VM running Wordpress, and I use the Cloudflare Zero Trust free service to securely tunnel the traffic and access my websites from anywhere.

Here are some key features of Proxmox:

1. Virtual Machine Management: Proxmox allows users to create and manage virtual machines with ease. It supports a wide range of operating systems, including Linux, Windows, and FreeBSD. Users can create VMs from templates or from scratch, and they can configure the VM's hardware settings, such as CPU, RAM, and storage.

2. Container Management: Proxmox also supports the creation and management of containers, which are a lightweight alternative to VMs. Containers share the host system's kernel, which makes them faster and more resource-efficient than VMs. Proxmox supports both LXC and OpenVZ container technologies.

3. Cluster Management: Proxmox can be deployed on a cluster of servers, which allows users to create a highly available and scalable virtualization platform. The cluster is managed through the web-based interface, which allows users to easily add or remove nodes, and to manage virtual machines and containers across the cluster.

4. Backup and Restore: Proxmox provides a built-in backup and restore system, which allows users to easily backup and restore virtual machines and containers. Backups can be scheduled or performed manually, and they can be stored locally or on remote storage devices.

5. High Availability: Proxmox offers high availability features, which ensure that virtual machines and containers are always available. In the event of a node failure, virtual machines and containers are automatically migrated to other nodes in the cluster.

1. Security: Proxmox provides a range of security features, including support for SELinux, AppArmor, and secure communication using SSL/TLS. It also supports two-factor authentication and provides audit logs for monitoring user activity.

Overall, Proxmox is a powerful and flexible virtualization platform that provides a comprehensive set of features for managing virtual machines and containers. It is well-suited for both small and large-scale deployments, especially useful in a home lab environment.

4 Replies 4

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Wow! Sounds pretty amazing. If I had an extra $550 laying around I'd try to create a similar setup. 

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you just want to try it out, you could buy a much cheaper Mini PC or Intel NUC (around $200-$300) with quad cores CPU/16GB memory.

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A very useful site for Proxmox aficionados -> Proxmox VE Helper Scripts

inju
Level 1
Level 1

In the light of Broadcoms license change of VMware ESXi: is there a chance that Cisco will ever support other virtualization platforms like KVM, eg. Proxmox?