Views
Helpful
Replies

2811 IOS versions

George Banuelos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Have a 2811 that I rec'd via smartnet with the incorrect version of IOS.  The exisiting 2811 (router A) has c2800nm-ipvoice-mz.124-24.T.bin

and the closest IOS I could find on Cisco's software downlad page is c2800nm-ipvoice-mz.124-24.T2.bin. 

I'm confident that there will be no issue in using this build, but I wanted to make sure.  Also... Would it be beneficial to use a different build versus the

c2800nm-ipvoice-mz.124-24.T2.bin that I just downloaded?  if so, which build would be the best?  and... I noticed that the file is over 40 MB and the flash is 64 MB so I will have to delete the existing  IOS on the flash to accomodate the new IOS - dumb question, but what is the safest way to approach this?

Thank you!

"I believe that the greatest work of God has not been in the miraculous, nor in the spectacular, incomprehensible Creation, but rather I believe it was accomplished on the Cross where He Himself purchased the redemption of His Bride... the salvation of m
4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nadeem Ahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just FTP the image to flash after deleting the existing one .. There won't be any issue . Just check the flash unwanted files or files .you can also delete them if not needed

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

View solution in original post

Here is the steps

Console to router first

copy tftp flash:

Address or name of remote host []? 10.10.10.2
Source filename []? c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-12.bin (this is IOS image on your machine which you are copying to router)
destination filename (Just Hit ENTER)
confirm (HIT ENTER)

for deleting the previous

Just

Delete
Finally change the boot with this image so that router will be boot up if it reoload with this image

Br,
Nadeem 

Please rate all useful post.

George,

This is what you should do to rename the IOS..

router# rename  flash:y c2800nm-ipvoice-mz.124-24.T2.bin

Once thats done you should see the correct file name in flash

Please rate all useful posts

"The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"

6 Replies 6

Nadeem Ahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just FTP the image to flash after deleting the existing one .. There won't be any issue . Just check the flash unwanted files or files .you can also delete them if not needed

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thank you Nadeem!  I TFTP's the new IOS over to the router's flash using Cisco's software upgrade procedure:

Example 1: Copy the image to flash: from TFTP server

Upgrade the new image from a TFTP server. Use the copy tftp: flash: command in order to copy the image from TFTP server to the flash.

2600>enable
Password:xxxxx 
2600#copy tftp: flash:

!--- 10.10.10.2 is the IP address of the TFTP server

Source filename []? c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-12.bin
Destination filename [c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-12.bin]?y 
Accessing tftp://10.10.10.2/c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-12.bin...
Erase flash: before copying? [confirm]y 

however... the Erase flash: option was not offered... and the transfer shows now to be completed... I went to show Flash and the old IOS file is still there and I do not see the new ios file???

please advise

"I believe that the greatest work of God has not been in the miraculous, nor in the spectacular, incomprehensible Creation, but rather I believe it was accomplished on the Cross where He Himself purchased the redemption of His Bride... the salvation of m

correction - I think I found it, but the file name is [y] instead of the intended file name of [c2800nm-ipvoice-mz.124-24.T2.bin] ... please advise on how to correct this file name

Here is the steps

Console to router first

copy tftp flash:

Source filename []? c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-12.bin (this is IOS image on your machine which you are copying to router)
destination filename (Just Hit ENTER)
confirm (HIT ENTER)

for deleting the previous

Just

Delete
Finally change the boot with this image so that router will be boot up if it reoload with this image

Br,
Nadeem 

Please rate all useful post.

Hi ,

you can also refer the DOC on IOS upgradation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_tech_note09186a00801fc986.shtml

regds,

aman

George,

This is what you should do to rename the IOS..

router# rename  flash:y c2800nm-ipvoice-mz.124-24.T2.bin

Once thats done you should see the correct file name in flash

"The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"