Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7-Digit Dialing Without Using @

UCM 7.x

I need to support 7-digit dialing without using the @ route pattern. Anyone have a creative way to make this work without creating a huge number of additional RPs?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

8 Replies 8

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First, I assume this is for a NANP?  Describe in more detail what you want to dial 7-digits from and to.  It isn't completely clear what you are trying to achieve.

Traditionally, if you're just looking to get 7-digit dialing for a local site, you are looking at a single route pattern per site.  Put a 9.[2-9]xxxxxx pattern in a partition exclusive to the CSS for that remote site.  That shouldn't overlap with any of your other route patterns, assuming you do use a trunk access code for PSTN dialing.  If you are trying to get by without a trunk access code, I don't really suggest that unless you really take special care in your dial plan design and understand dialplan overlaps and call loop prevention pretty well.

If you're looking to achieve dialing from a remote site via toll-bypass to another site, then it will require a second route pattern for each other non-local site.  Since you would need the specifity of the area code here (so it knows what site to dial out), let's say SJ is trying to call NC.  You'd have 9919.[2-9]xxxxxx in a partiton under every site's CSS (expect for the raleigh CSS).  You manipulate under the route group to strip preDot and send out a Raleigh Gateway, and fallback out the local route group and prefix 1919.

-Steve

Thanks for the reply. Yes, we're talking NANP.

I'm referring to 7-digit dialing of PSTN numbers, from a single site.

So my LD RPs are looking something like this:

*.1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx

*.[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx

Now a single 7-digit pattern would overlap the second LD pattern, which is regularly used. The result would be a long dialing delay for all seven-digit calling.

Ah, you have 10-digit dialing in your network.  You've got an overlapping dialplan, then, so there isn't a clear cut answer.

You've got a few options, here:

* You can configure it so that you use the interdigit timer to know whether the customer is done dialing after 7 digits or going to dial 10 digits.  This is the default behavior, unless you have 'urgent priority' checked on the 7-digit pattern.  You can tweak the time we will wait for additional digits with the T302 timer in the CUCM Service Parameters.  If 15 seconds (default) is too long, you can simply reduce this timer.

* You can leave the T302 timer at 15 seconds, and you can add a pattern '*.[2-9]xxxxxx#'.  Then you instruct users if they don't want to wait after dialing 7-digits, they can hit pound and it will route the call right away.  This is how you typically handle international dialing, anyway, so the users should be use to this, if you've implemented that like most people do.

* The other option is to have them dial 11-digits (*.1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx) for their 10-digit calls, and strip the 1 off in CUCM and send it out to the provider as 10-digits.

-Steve

Thanks - all options are valid, but users are ... well, users. Rules will be difficult for them to accept. I already trimmed the interdigit timeout to 10 seconds and will likely go lower to make it easier on them. I think it's the most reasonable compromise - just let them dial the 7 and wait it out. Philip's recommendation is good as well.

Thanks gents!

Brian

The delay would only exist if users go off-hook then enter digits to dial.  If they enter digits without going off-hook then press "dial" you won't have to worry about interdigit timeout.  Just retrain all your users

I agree, Philip.  Whenever I install new IP phones I tell the users to dial like a cell phone- dial the number, then press speaker, headset or pickup the handset.   Listening to dial tone is so archaic

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

No kidding!  I don't have time to sit around and wait for IDT anyway...

Okay, all finished and it appears to work very well. But as a safeguard I think I'll hide from the users and forward my phone. 

Replaced *.@ with:

*.011!
*.011!#
*.1[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX
*.[2-9]XXXXXX
*.[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX

Then changed the t302 service parameter to 7000ms, then had IT notify users of preview dialing to avoid any delays when dialing 7-digits.

Incidentally, the motivation for all of this was that our new Telco required 'unknown' calling party number plan and type for International Calls, and "@" was setting it as International. Perhaps there's a way to change this in parameters, but I've been wanting to get away from the @ pattern anyhow...

Regards,

Brian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: