cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7841 Hard Reset

bstrubeTD3
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 7841 that was originally created as a 8861 so the requested phone load is incorrrect. 

Phone Type
Product Type: Cisco 7841
Device Protocol: SIP
Real-time Device Status
Registration: Registered with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Sanchez-VOIP1CM.*******

Active Load ID: sip78xx.14-1-1-0001-136
Inactive Load ID: sip78xx.14-0-1-0201-169
Download Status: Upgrading
Requested Load ID: sip88xx.14-1-1-0001-125

I need to do a hard reset. Not a factory reset, but a hard reset that will erase everything from the phone. The **# after boot up doesn't work because the Erase softkey does not come up.

Is there a way to wipe all the settings from the phone?

7 Replies 7

The device would not actually do any attempt to install a firmware that doesn’t match the type of the device model. So it should be enough to create the correct phone model configuration in CM and then let the device start the registration process from the beginning to make it register with CM.

Response Signature

I understand that, but I want to do a hard reset to clear out the flash and everything. I used to be able to do this with the 79XX phones.

On your question as such, this is how you do a hardware reset of a Cisco phone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=auce4I4Lpao

Response Signature

This is a factory reset. This is not what I want, as I specified in my message. I need to do a hard reset and reset everything in the phone.

@bstrubeTD3 wrote:

This is a factory reset. This is not what I want, as I specified in my message. I need to do a hard reset and reset everything in the phone.

This will do that. There are no other option for reset.

Response Signature

On the 79XX there was also another reset sequence, 3491672850*#. You could test is that makes any difference, or even work on the newer phones, for you as I assume that you have used the normal reset sequence and it doesn't do what you want it to do.

Option 1

Pull the network cord out of the phone and plug it back in (physically resetting the unit)
    Immediately press and hold the # key and while the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons begin to flash in sequence, release the # key (you may have to hold the # for 30 seconds).
    Press 123456789*0# after the line lights buttons will begin to flash in sequence (you only have 60 seconds to do this, then it goes back to normal booting).
    If you’ve done it right you’ll see the phrase “Upgrading”

Option 2 (if option 1 doesn’t work)

Power off the phone (if using inline power, just remove the ethernet).
    Hold the # key down.
    Power on the phone while still holding down the # key.
    When the line buttons scroll down orange, you can take your finger off the hash button
    Press the following buttons: 3491672850*#
    The line buttons should continue to scroll, but now they should be red
    After about 60sec, this will change to green, and the phone should the boot up correctly

The text is from this page Reset a Cisco phone to factory defaults 

Response Signature

This doesn't work on the 7841 like it does on the 79XX series.  I have tried this as well.  I have tried the following too:

Bootup as normal.

Go into Settings and press ##*. Press the Erase softkey.

When I try this, there is no Erase softkey.