Views
Helpful
Replies

7911 stuck in firmware upgrade

Maxim Denisov
Level 3
Level 3

Hello.

I have a problem with 7911 IP phone. I have installed 2 new 7911 IP phones and registered it on UCM 8.6.2. They have successfully registered but the confugured locale have not been applied. I've done factory reset by 123456789*0# combination, the phone began repeatedly reboot with several minutes interval, showed upgrade screen for several seconds and than showing a Cisco logo with 1 circle with dot in lower left edge on the screen. I've reset it with 3491672850*# after that I see a clear screen and the phone flashed its transparent buttons with several minutes interval.

In tcpdump I see the phone loads term11.default.loads, UCM sends it and than no activity from the phone. In term11.default.loads I see the following:

Trozkiy:~ mdenisov$ strings ./term11.default.loads

'CN=someSigner;OU=someOrgUnit;O=someOrg

#CN=someCA;OU=someOrgUnit;O=someOrg

O78m

wtmckTd

a]=I

72Xxl

term11.default.loads

# This file contains a list of archive image files that will be requested by the

# RELEASE load version 9-2-1TH1-13

#HARDWARE_COMP_1 1

jar11sip.9-2-1TH1-13.sbn

cnu11.9-2-1TH1-13.sbn

apps11.9-2-1TH1-13.sbn

dsp11.9-2-1TH1-13.sbn

cvm11sip.9-2-1TH1-13.sbn

Trozkiy:~ mdenisov$

The phone should be SCCP.

How can I troubleshoot thes problem? I have set build all cnf files in service parameters and restarted tftp service. Other phones can register and upgrade successfully. Is there a way to connect to the phone with telnet, ssh or something else end see what do it needs?

Regards,

Maxim

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

9.x may be too new to recover a phone. Try some 8.x FW.

View solution in original post

Gajanan Pande
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Maxim,

Yes, 7911 supports SSH but it needs phoneload 9.2.1 in it to support it & at this moment the main issues is that it's not getting on to 9.2.1. If you refer the release notes for firmware release 9.2.1 it says,

For all SCCP/SIP firmware upgrades from firmware release versions earlier than 8.3(3) to version 9.2(1) or greater, you must first upgrade your firmware to an intermediate version (8.3(3) - 8.5(2)) then upgrade to 9.2(1).

Therefore, as Paolo mentioned, you might want to upload the phoneload first to mentioned 8.x version on to your CUCM 8.6.2 ( which comes by default with 9.2.1 phoneload for 7911s ) & then once the 7911 gets 8.x phoneload, you may just change the device default value to 9.2.1 & bring them up to the mark as of others.

Let us know how it goes.

Pls rate the post if it helps.

GP.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

9.x may be too new to recover a phone. Try some 8.x FW.

Specificly 8.5.2

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Gajanan Pande
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Maxim,

Yes, 7911 supports SSH but it needs phoneload 9.2.1 in it to support it & at this moment the main issues is that it's not getting on to 9.2.1. If you refer the release notes for firmware release 9.2.1 it says,

For all SCCP/SIP firmware upgrades from firmware release versions earlier than 8.3(3) to version 9.2(1) or greater, you must first upgrade your firmware to an intermediate version (8.3(3) - 8.5(2)) then upgrade to 9.2(1).

Therefore, as Paolo mentioned, you might want to upload the phoneload first to mentioned 8.x version on to your CUCM 8.6.2 ( which comes by default with 9.2.1 phoneload for 7911s ) & then once the 7911 gets 8.x phoneload, you may just change the device default value to 9.2.1 & bring them up to the mark as of others.

Let us know how it goes.

Pls rate the post if it helps.

GP.

Thank you, it helped. I temporarily pointed dhcp to my old UCM 6.1.2 and the phone recovered. What is the right way for such upgrades? I have a lot of 7911 phones from that supply, am I right that I need to put older firmware to tftp and change the load information in device defaults when necessary?

Gajanan, just interesting what is the reason for intermediate upgrades?

Regards,

Maxim

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Maxim,

The need for an intermediate firmware comes when you try to move from

an "old" version to one of the newest firmware loads You are most

correct that you will need to load this intermediate version on all nodes

and then use the Phone Load Name setting on the Device config page in CUCM

Follow the steps in the attached doc to note the device defaults and load an individual

IP Phone.

Cheers!

Rob

Please remember to tag your threads and help support "Teachers without Borders"

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/idea-center/communityhelpingcommunity

Attachments:

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the reply. The problem is solved and I just interested what is the reason for the intermediate upgrade? Just for overall development.

Regards,

Maxim

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Maxim,

Here's an explanation from Rudy @ Cisco as to how this all came about

"Hi all,

My name is Rudy Tibuni and I am a product manager in IPCBU for Cisco Unified IP Phones.  First, let me apologize for the issue this has created for recently purchased IP Phones.  This is not something we typically do obviously, but in this case it was necessary.

First, to summarize:

The phones are currenlty shipping with 8.3(2) but must be upgraded to a firmware load greater than or equal to 8.3(3) up to a load less than or equal to 8.5(2) prior to upgrading to 8.5(3). Â We realize this is an issue for new phones mostly so we are changing the default manufacturing load to be 8.3(3). The process for doing so involves testing in manufacturing as well as a control run test build. Â This is being done as we speak. Â The change should be in production in 2-3 weeks.  For recently shipped phones, the process specified in the 8.5(3) release notes is the correct process to follow.

Why did this happen?  As most of you know, Cisco firmware is signed to ensure that only Cisco-certified firmware may be loaded on our phones.  It was necessary to upgrade the servers that do the signing and the loads that understand both signing keys are, not surprisingly 8.3(3) though 8.5(2).  The old servers were decommissioned and no longer available so 8.5(3) only understands the new server signing keys, hence the need to upgrade first to a load that understands both keys."

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/302267

Cheers!

Rob