cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7921G 2821 CME 4.1

gkonheiser
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to cisco Voip and trying to set up my 7921G on my 2821 with CME 4.1 . I understand that I need a firmware file that will reside on the router for the phone to download, is this the correct file,  cmterm-7921-sccp.1-4-2.cop.sgn ?

Also will SIPS work with my hardware?

Thaks for any help, I apriciate they are very novice question.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So it has been a while since I have tried this...and someone else can correct me if I am wrong but I believe you will be still able to use the wireless phone with cme however you might run into some bugs.  I remenber a time period when we always got firmware failed errors on the 7921s until upgraded firmware came out.

This is of course assuming you have all the cme files already on flash from the previous owner.

But I would suggest starting by reading up on CME and what files are required on flash and how cme operates. Read on sccp(skinny) and how cme using it for signaling.   If you are looking for a book on teh subject try Cisco IP communications express;  it may be a little dated now but it is what I used when I started with cme.

Good luck and happy learning!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Gregory Brunn
Spotlight
Spotlight

To answer your first question let me begain by asking another.

What version IOS code are you running the 2821?

4.1 is a very outdated version of cme. You might want to review the following to make sure your IOS version and cme version match up and if you have active smartnet you might want to look at updating your code.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/requirements/guide/33matrix.htm

With that being said you will need the following files loaded onto flash  for version 4.1

CP7921g-1.1.1.loads*

Apps-1.1.1.sbn

Gui-1.1.1.sbn

Sys-1.1.1.sbn

Tnux-1.1.1.sbn

Tnuxr-1.1.1.sbn

Wlan-1.1.1.sbn CP7921g-1.1.1.loads*
Apps-1.1.1.sbn
Gui-1.1.1.sbn
Sys-1.1.1.sbn
Tnux-1.1.1.sbn
Tnuxr-1.1.1.sbn
Wlan-1.1.1.sbn

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/requirements/guide/cme41spc.htm

You can download these from the cisco support website.

For your second question it does not look like there is SIP firmware version for this phone for cme.  This does not mean that the router does not support sip for dial-peers or for sip trunking.

Another thing to note that the 2821 is a generation 1 series ISR meaning that the version of IOS code it runs dictates the features of the router.  So you need to make sure the router is running the correct version of code to support voice and the other features you may want.

Please let me know if this was helpful by rating the response and let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks for the help.

Ive just seen that you need a contract to download those files, is that expensive to get? Having already spent several hundred euros getting the 2821, 7921g and the PDVM im not sure its worth it too just setup a few phones at home, what do you think?

Also what other protocols can I use if not SIPS to be able to phone out and recieve calls from standard phones?

These are probably very stupid questions but every tutorial I have found demonstrats the ability to call other ip phones but non talk about calling out to the world or reciving calls from a non ip phone.

First of all you have spent very little for an used system that originally costed thousands.

Then, to have it work properly and perfectly, including updates, that as mentioned abpove are absolutely necessary, your best choice is to engage a reputable consultant or UC certified Cisco partner.

If you try to do yourself you will see that it is not an easy system, it is not made toi be configured by the end user, and you spen much time reading documentation, asking questions, and at the end, not getting sure and quick results.

I  am familiar with ios and have been programing cisco switches and routers for over 7 years just not voice, so it is my first etempt at cisco voice congif. I should have spent more time researching before purchasing but I wrongly assumed that once I had a voice capable router and phone I would be good to go in terms of starting to program the router and learning voice ios commands but not so. The whole point for me was to do it my self.

That's great thank you for your help.

What is my best option for obtain the downloads I require? Can I just purchase the files online?

No. The router is old and no support contract can be purchased anymore. That is why I recommend you use a professional to resolve all problems and avoid frustration.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

so there is no way of me downlaoding the files I require??

So it has been a while since I have tried this...and someone else can correct me if I am wrong but I believe you will be still able to use the wireless phone with cme however you might run into some bugs.  I remenber a time period when we always got firmware failed errors on the 7921s until upgraded firmware came out.

This is of course assuming you have all the cme files already on flash from the previous owner.

But I would suggest starting by reading up on CME and what files are required on flash and how cme operates. Read on sccp(skinny) and how cme using it for signaling.   If you are looking for a book on teh subject try Cisco IP communications express;  it may be a little dated now but it is what I used when I started with cme.

Good luck and happy learning!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: