Views
Helpful
Replies

7941 Won't Boot - Bricked?

dustin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have 7941 IP phone that I beleive has corrupted firmware. The phone was connected with a faulty network connection during a firmware upgrade and now will not boot at all.

When powering on, the headset, mute, and speaker buttons briefly light up. After a few seconds all lights turn off except for the speaker button, which stays lit permantly. (left on overnight)

The screen is always blank after powering on. I have tried holding down the # key when powering it on but it has no effect.

I have connected the phone to a seperate test network and verified that it does not receive an IP address from the DHCP server and never attempts to contact the tftp server.

I'm not sure what to do next, thanks in advance!

12 Replies 12

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the phone ask for an address, but won't take it, some thing is wrong witht he reply, like no option150 present.

And, to reset, is not just #, but two altarnative sequences that you would find searching this forum for the many cases similar to your.

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to specify that after holding the # key the screen never lights up and I do the reset sequence 123456789*0# but nothing happens. I have done both soft and hard factory resets on multiple other 7941s so I am familiar with the process. On this phone there is never any indication that it is loading something.

I have used the test network to upload firmware to other 7900 phones so I know the dhcp server is working normally. The dhcp and tftp logs never show any activity from the phone.

I never hears od a truly bricked phone - that doesn't mean you can't have one.

Check packet counters on the switch port, chances are you will see the phone is sending packets, but for some reason, cannot then proceed.

I have exactely the same issue. I don't see any activity on DHCP/TFTP logs. Capturing

with Wireshark, the phone doesn't even request an IP to the DHCP server.

Is there any other way to convert the brick into a phone?

Thanks,

J

I've rarely seen any IP phones actually die in that manner; if the phone will not boot beyond the speakerphone light, and holding the # key does not initiate a hard reset sequence, I'd say you've got a dead 7941.  If nothing else the phone should boot and then just fail to register and sit there attempting; I don't know that anything can be done beyond a hard reset attempt, at least from the user end.

I seem to be having the same problem with a 7961G too - just powers up to the green speaker LED and doesn't ever DHCP to the network...

Did anyone find out how to de-brick a phone when it's like this?

We have the same problem. Also traces show no DHCP or TFTP. Anyone managed to retrieve one?

I have a 7941 that displays this same behaviour - boots either from PoE or with external supply, all Buttons/LEDs flash, then just the Mute Button/LED flashes and then finally the Speaker Button/LED illuminates and remains lit and thats it (the LCD never displays anything).  If you remove the handset the Headset Button/LED illuminates for a few seconds before the Mute Button/LED flashes but it always remains with the Speaker Button/LED lit.

I have put wireshark on and nothing is ever transmitted by the phone.

There is obviously some life left in it but I think it is a goner.  Are there any recovery possibilities that don't involve it being returned to Cisco as this is 2nd hand and probably has no warranty.

Andy

Seem to be having the same issue with my 7961. Any ideas?

This is discussed in so many threads, if you search you will see all the detailed steps that have to be taken.

I've noticed so many threads within the Forum with the same issue. Although, ive not found a solution to fix the issue. (Step-by-step). So many ideas but little information on what to do and how to do it. I'm getting exactly the same as what Andrew above has got. Phone isn't booting with the blank screen. A hard reset was performed.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1113264#1113264

Just one, there are so many others.