cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7945G - Host not found. 6921 works fine!!!

eoinwhite
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a communications manager business edition (CMBE) v8 with 6921 and 7945G phones. The corporate directory is working fine on the 6921 but not the 7945.

On the 7945G, when you press the directories button it displays the list of directories however when you press the corporate directory you get hostnot found.

I have updated the fileds in the system paramemeters with the IP address and rebooted the phones but still the same issue. (I didnt reset any service). I downloaded the xml files form oe of the working 6921's and could see the correct URL. However there are no URL's for the 7945G see attahced. Any ideas as to why the 6921's are working fine but the 7945's are not?

Cheers,

Eoin.

13 Replies 13

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

Are 6921 and 7945 configured with the same DNS server and domain name to resolve publisher's hostname.

I always prefer to configure IP address under System > Servers in Callmanager instead of hostname, and also change URLs to use IP addresses instead of hostnames under System > Enterprise Parameters. if you make this changes, you will need to restart your devices. This will remove additional DNS look ups on the phones and speed up the process.

The service URL's are already updated with the IP addresses instead of hostnames. You can see the URLs in the 6921 configuration file but not in the 7945 configuration file.

Do I also need to update the IP address  under System > Servers? Will this help ? If I update this what do I need to restart; just the phones or the whole server?

I find it strange that the 6921 works fine but the 7945 doesnt seem to get any URLs.

Thanks,

Eoin.

No, you got enough configuration for this, configuring servers as IPs instead of hostnames is not needed for your problem, but it might help with performance in the future. If you do it, you will need to reset all devices (not servers).

For your issue, try restarting TFTP server in Serviceability. Then find the problematic phone in Callmanager, change description on the phone and save it. Try to reboot the phone again and let me know if it fixes it.

If you use CUCM 8.0 or later and the phone was moved from another CUCM cluster,

the phone will need factory reset to delete an ITL file. Or you can delete it from IP Phone mune (setting -> Security configuration -> Trust List -> ITL File).

Phones don't download a config file from TFTP servers which are not listed in an ITL file.

This security feature is available by default on CUCM 8.0 or later.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/security/8_0_2/secugd/secusbd.html

Hope this help.

Akiyoshi

I restarted the tftp-service -- still the same issue.

Renamed the phone description & factory reset the phone --still the same issue.

I deleted the ITL file from the phone & rebooted -- still the same issue (the ITL file is there again)

This is a fresh install not an upgrade or migration.

Eoin.

I've also just upgraded the firmware but still the same issue.

The directories URL with the IP address does infact appear to be there when I look at it from the phone screen (it also actually is present in the configuration file - I missed it earlier) however the ITL file seems to be using the DNS name rather then the IP ... maybe this is the issue  if so how do I change it?

Akiyoshi Kawaguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you change hostname to IP Address under System > Servers?

Since Corporate Directory is treated as IP Phone Service after CUCM 7.0 or later (you can find Corporate Directory config in IP Phone Service settings),

Directory URL in Enterprise Parameter may not be used to use Corporate Directory.

When CUCM handles Corporate Directory request from IP Phone, Server setting might be used.

If this is the case, I don't know why 6921 works fine...

Hope this help.

Akiyoshi

From your report, ITL seems not to be related this issue.

Because IP Phone cannot download not only a config file but also a phone firmware if ITL has something wrong.

If my understanding is correct ... changing the hostname involves a reboot of the server which I cant justify right now. Will that definitley fix the issue?

I found some similar issue in past cases:

Case 1.

By changing Hostname to IP Address in Server config, a problem was resolved. CUCM ver 7.0.

Case 2.

Changing Hostname to IP Address did not resolve a problem. By changing "HTTPS Server" setting in Phone Configuration, it was resolved. CUCM ver 8.0.

Case 3.

By TVS service problem, Corporate Directory did not work. In this case, Firewall blocked TVS service. CUCM ver 8.0.

If you downgrade phone firmware to 8.5 then this problem is cleared, TVS service might have some problem.

Because firmware 8.5 does not have security feature, so TVS is not used by the phone.

In addition, 6900 does not support this serurity feature even if firmware is 9.0 or later. So your 6921 may work fine.

Thanks for this thread. I've got similar issue.

Is there any official reference that 7900 and 8900/9900 phones uses ITL certificates to provide "Security by default" to authenticate phone services, verify firmware and config files?

I went thru CUCM 8.6 Security Guide and several 6900 phone admin guides and release notes but didn't find anything :-(

Thank you in advance,

Jiri

So I digged deeper and found that ITL certificates are 8.x version feature called "Security by Default" which is not supported on 6900 phones. 7900/8900/9900 are supported thus if tftp/https cert changes on CUCM, phone don't trust it anymore.

It is necessary to delete ITL from phone manually in order to get new one.

Found somewhere information that CUCM 9.5 or 10 release could support ITL certificate reporting and management tool, this would be awesome! :-)

Hello Community, I have the same problem with the new Phones 7821 at CUCM 8.6.2. 7821 works fine, but no access to Corporate Directory. Press Corp Directory and after 10 sec. I got the Message "host not found".

Following Szenario,

Encrypted Phones SIP 7911, 7931, 7962, 7975 at CUCM 8.6.2 have access long time to the corporate directory and - works fine.

Today I add 7821 SIP Phones and they works works fine, but no access to corporate directory message "host not found" appears. Works also not with non sip secure profile.

The config is the same as the other phones, nothing different. Get the same IP Address Range, same DNS, same TFTP Server etc.........

The Cluster have 3 Servers, First PUB1, SUB1 and SUB2. The Phones are register at SUB1. For me it seems may be there is a problem with the TVS Certification.

But how could I fix this?

Please see attached Trace from the Phone.

I hope the Community could help me to solve the issue.

Really thanks in advance.

HTH, please rate all useful posts and right answers.

HTH, please rate all useful posts and right answers.