cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7970 phone handset speaker volume very low

roman_gar
Level 1
Level 1

I have an IP7970 phone with SIP firmware that works fine except that the handset speaker volume is very very low even if the volume settings is at max, the sound can be only heard when surroundings are completely quiet. Speakerphone volume is fine.

When call is placed from the handset, receiving party can hear the audio loud and clear.

I tried  multiple firmwares with same result, currently having 8.5.4 loaded.

Lookslike hardware issue but I thought I will ask. Another IP7970 I have works fine with 8.5.4.

Any suggestion/advice is  appreciated.

Thanks,

Roman

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Roman,

This is almost certainly a hardware problem with the handset itself. Did you try switching the handset from the working to non-working 7970 to verify if the problem follows accordingly?

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

I should have mention that, it was the first thing I tried and it is not the handset itself. When I used the handset from my other phone , this phone exhibited same very low volume, so the handset itself and the cord is rulled out.

Thanks,

Roman

Assuming that you also swapped out the handset cord and the pins on the handset jack aren't bent/shorting put, it's probably a failure of the DSP or analog-side chips that power the handset. There is no setting that allows the volume output to be capped at a certain db level. If the display shows volume is at max, it should be.

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your input.

Yes, I tried all combinations of handset and cord.

The handset and cord from the "faulty" phone works in my "good" phone and he handset and cord from the "good" phone does not work in the "faulty" phone.

I also buzzed out connections of the RJ11 jack in the phone (when cord plug is inserted) and they are not shorted to each other.

Without having schematics of the phone, I do not know if the same chip/amp drives the speaker as well has handset.

I did not mention it before but the speakerphone is loud and clear, it just the handset speaker that is quiet.

Quite strange problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: