cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7975 ip phone unprovisioned

apintilie
Level 1
Level 1

hello, i have a SIP 7975 IP phone (sip75.9-3-1sr2-1s) that i moved from one CUCM deployment to another. initially the phone would not be able to get past the existing CTL and ITL trust list it had from the original CUCM deployment; after checking console logs i remove CTL&ITL trust list and the phone was able to establish trust with the new TFTP server.

However right now the phone displays Unprovisioned, I have tried removing it and readding it in the new CUCM cluster in with no luck. 

The phone is in a DHCP environment but I am unable to perform a factory reset as the DHCP information for TFTP server would force it to connect to a different CUCM cluster and download different configuration than the one i am looking to deploy. We have the general CUCM deployment for desk phones, and a different CUCM cluster for Telepresence. This 7975 phone would be deployed for Telepresence.

After the phone finishes its boot process it displays a lot of parsing errors, it starts with:

316: ERR 19:59:31.943230 JVM: ..LOCALCONNECT FAILED

It almost appears as it's trying to load the TSPM-1.10.0-P1-1S phone midlet before finishing the CUCM registration. CUCM has registration and IP status as unknown for this phone. All telepresence issues aside the phone does not recognize an active Unified CM according to Device Configuration on the phone itself.

I have parsed the console logs a few times and I am not seeing why the CUCM registration itself fails, leaving all JVM errors aside which would suggest its trying to launch the Telepresence java midlet interface, I would like to resolve the CUCM registration issue.

Attached the console log shortly after the boot process completes (10.11.12.13 & 10.11.12.14 are the TFTP/CUCM pub/sub).

thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nathan Compton
Level 4
Level 4

It doesn't look like it is getting the proper config files from the CUCM as it should.  90% of the time I have had weird issues like this, a factory reset will fix it.  Here is how you could factory reset it in your situation:

1.  Plug phone into non-voice vlan network port.  We don't want it getting VLAN or TFTP information from the network

2. Factory reset the phone.

3. When the phone comes back up, manually set the TFTP server and, if needed, the rest of the IP information.

4. Plug the phone back into the voice vlan.

You should be able to access the settings menu after a factory reset while the phone is in the "Configuring IP" state.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Nathan Compton
Level 4
Level 4

It doesn't look like it is getting the proper config files from the CUCM as it should.  90% of the time I have had weird issues like this, a factory reset will fix it.  Here is how you could factory reset it in your situation:

1.  Plug phone into non-voice vlan network port.  We don't want it getting VLAN or TFTP information from the network

2. Factory reset the phone.

3. When the phone comes back up, manually set the TFTP server and, if needed, the rest of the IP information.

4. Plug the phone back into the voice vlan.

You should be able to access the settings menu after a factory reset while the phone is in the "Configuring IP" state.

adcompto, that's very helpful, wasnt aware you can hard reset and still access configuration menu.

another thing i noticed is that it goes into a constant loop for requesting ITL files, as if it is not trusting the TFTP/CUCM servers. then it finds that it already has the ITL file and cancels overwriting the existing ones.

i do agree based on Phone Registration Process that after the trust is established next step would be receiving the config file which i found no record to happening in the console log files.

thanks, will try factory reset and update. 

i tried a hard reset on a switch that hands out DHCP with no TFTP information, but i am unable to access configuration screen. i only get the upgrading screen, followed by Cisco Logo, and then endless loop between the two screens.

to explain the network environment a little better, the phone will need to be on a network that has access to both the CUCM Voice cluster and the different CUCM cluster for Video/telepresence, the problem is that the TFTP information passed through by the DHCP server is for the CUCM Voice cluster, and i need this phone to register to the CUCM Video cluster directly after the factory/hard reset. Don't ask me why the video and voice clusters are mashed up together on the same network, I didn't design it this way. :( Ideally you would keep the two separate, but oh well...

If there's really no way to access the configuration screen during the boot process, this really sucks.

i'll need to think of a workaround...

all right got it. here's what i did, 

1. after factory reset the phone needs some initial software to be able to change the static network information. i moved to my lab CUCM, right after the initial files were pushed, but before the lab CUCM pushed the actual firmware load i disconnected the phone and:

2. moved onto a POE switch with only DHCP but no connection to anything else, set all the static IP information on it, gateway, TFTP server etc

3. moved it onto the network that has the two CUCM clusters, the phone will still not register and say unprovisioned. 

4. went into phone settings > security configuration  > trust list > erase ctl/itl files. the reason for this is that the phone thinks it already has a trust setup with my lab CUCM, and therefor it will not overwrite unless removed from the phone with the prod CUCM. the phone will now reboot and download ctl itl for the appropriate new CUCM. still no Unified CM trust mentioned on the phone config, but when i made a tiny change for the HTTP allow flag i noticed the change was instantaneous which meant that in fact the phone did get its settings from the SFTP server.

5. the phone's MAC was previously configured in CUCM, but i was still getting unprovisioned and realized i did not set a DN for it. please note without DN the phone will show as unprovisioned.

hope this helps someone with similar deployments

Hello,
We have recently purchased Cisco IP Phone 7841, and would like to register it in cucm. Yes, it gives me also the above provisioned message. I followed the below steps which fixed the issue.

- in cucm > add Line 1 > Directory no configuration > insert the required details there like DN no 1013, and just wait for IP Phone. you will see the IP Phone will register with DN 1013 in the screen.