Replies

8831 phones fail to download and are unregistered

Not applicable
Active Load ID: sip8831.10-3-1SR3-4
Download Status: Failed
Requested Load ID: sip8831.10-3-1SR2-2
Download Server: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Inactive Load Failure Reason Internal Phone Error

Above is the phone status in CUCM (release 11.5.1). We have 7841 and 8861 sets that all register and are working fine. Only the 8831 set will not register and have the failed download status. IP address has been masked but it is a legitimate CUCM IP address on our network.

Any ideas how to correct the failed download and failed registrations for these phone sets?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As Rob mentioned, you cannot downgrade from the current active firmware which came installed on the phone. Ideally this should not affect the registration as the phone should try firmware downgrade and once it fails it should register with the current firmware.

So first to resolve the firmware issue, you could either download and install this firmware on the CUCM, restart the TFTP service on the respective TFTP servers which will change the firmware for these phones to the current one in device defaults so that these model phones when you add will not try to downgrade. If you want to try and see whether this helps, you can directly enter this firmware in the phone configuration page for one phone. 

HTH

Rajan

Pls rate all useful posts

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

I believe the problem here is that the phone is actually trying to downgrade its firmware from 10-3-1-SR3 to 10-3-1SR2 which is not supported as shown in the notes below;

Limitations and Restrictions

Firmware Downgrade Limitation

After you install Firmware Release 10.3(1)SR3 on a conference phone, you cannot downgrade the firmware to a previous version.

From;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8831/firmware/10-3-1-sr3/cs38_b_rn-8831-8831nr-1031sr3.html#reference_FAAB37E1872A59E713FD4E83586DC0A8

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks Rob for the response.

So the firmware that is on these sets is what was on them right out of the box (new purchase). What are my options? Does this affect the ability of these phones to register with CUCM?

Hi,

As you are seeing “Internal Phone Error” and it is failing to upgrade the firmware. Also you are saying the phone is out of box, possible below could be the reason.

Unfortunately the 8831 cannot upgrade directly from 9-3-3 to 10-3-2. You must first go to an interim load. Follow these instructions carefully to make sure the phone upgrades correctly.

You must upgrade the phone to a 9-3-3-TO-10-3-1v2 load by installing: cmterm-8831-sip.9-3-3-TO-10-3-1-v2.k3.cop.sgn. you can download the file from the link below.

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284738433&softwareid=282074288&release=10.3%281%29SR2&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Check the release notes which talks about the process in detail.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8831/firmware/10_3_1/english/release_note/CS38_BK_CF3CC967_00_cisco-unified-ip-conference-phone/CS38_BK_CF3CC967_00_cisco-unified-ip-conference-phone_chapter_00.html#CS38_RF_U9389218_00

(Rate if it helps)

JB

Hi,

I have same issue CUCM is : 11.5.1.12900-21 and new 8831 phone

Phone has active load of sip8831.10-3-1SR3-5

System Load : sip8831.10-3-1SR2-2

I uploaded latest firmware sip8831.10-3-1SR3-5-NA

Still the phone is unregistered dont know if there is any bug

Please let me know

Regards,

DJ

here is the link for the known bug.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuh18303#details

Not applicable

thank you to all that responded. Looks like I need to open a TAC case.

Hi,

One thing I observered was that Hostname is not IP address on CUCM I will be changing that and rebooting the cluster

I can see DNS timeout on phone console status messages

Regards,

DJ

UPDATE:

It appears that disconnection the 8831s from the network and then reconnecting the sets seems to have cleared all issues. The sets are registered and have the latest firmware load.

Phone Type

Product Type:  Cisco 8831
Device Protocol:  SIP
Real-time Device Status
Registration: Registered with Cisco Unified Communications Manager XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
IPv4 Address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Active Load ID: sip8831.10-3-1SR3-5
Download Status: Successful

Hi,

So did you delete the CUCM config of the phone do anything with the switch port like shut & no shut ??

Please explain disconnecting and reconnecting to network means above or any special steps taken

thank you

Regards,

DJ

the last thing we did to get the phones to register and load sip8831.10-3-1SR3-5 was unplug the Ethernet cable from the phone, then reconnect the Ethernet cable.

Finally Finally solved this 

1.Changed the CUCM from hostname to IP address did not help

2.Changed the TFTP from CUCM PUB to CUCM SUB in DHCP

3.Deleted the phone re-added the phone

4.Phone is registered to CUCM and we can do changes to phone still stays on

Regards,

DJ

As Rob mentioned, you cannot downgrade from the current active firmware which came installed on the phone. Ideally this should not affect the registration as the phone should try firmware downgrade and once it fails it should register with the current firmware.

So first to resolve the firmware issue, you could either download and install this firmware on the CUCM, restart the TFTP service on the respective TFTP servers which will change the firmware for these phones to the current one in device defaults so that these model phones when you add will not try to downgrade. If you want to try and see whether this helps, you can directly enter this firmware in the phone configuration page for one phone. 

HTH

Rajan

Pls rate all useful posts

Not applicable

Hi Rajan,

I tried your suggestion. I downloaded the file from Cisco. Loaded it to my CUCM and stop and restarted TFTP services. The new firmware appears in CUCM but when the phones tries to upgrade to this new version, I get this (see below).

We found that by unplugging the Ethernet cable from the phone, then plugging it back in, the phone registers. There is a known bug on 8831 sets so that may be why they are not registering. But, as far as the firmware upgrade, I am not sure what to do to get these sets to load the latest firmware.

Real-time Device Status

Registration: Registered with Cisco Unified Communications Manager 10.179.196.20
IPv4 Address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Active Load ID: sip8831.10-3-1SR3-4
Download Status: Failed
Requested Load ID: sip8831.10-3-1SR3-5
Download Server: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Inactive Load Failure Reason File Not Found

Cisco 8831 SIP

The version SIP8831.10-3-1SR3-4 is no longer available on the cisco web..... 8831 complains over this specific version that is not present at te TFTP :-).
so where can i find this valid SIP8831.10-3-1SR3-4 software to do this?

i have also tried 20000 other versions ...... but with no result :-(