cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8851 Option 66 with InfoBlox Issue

Matt Sywulak
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having this weird issue with our new 8851 we are deploying. Currently we have a pilot program that consist of 7945's and a few 7965's. We also have the future production network stood up on the network but is currently only being used for testing. 

Currently when we plug a 7945 or 7965 in anywhere on our network it comes right up with the Pilot Server TFTP information, as it's supposed to. But when we plug an 8851 in the only thing that comes up is DHCP. To get the 8851 to work right now we have to manually add the servers on each phone. 

Going through 8851 documentation shows that they should be fine with Option 66 instead of 150 but I'm sort of at a loss to what's exactly happening. Any ideas? 

Thanks,

Matt

10 Replies 10

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is there a reason you are not using option 150?  

Chris,

I work with Matt....have you worked on an InfoBlox DNS/DHCP solution? Any idea how to implement option 150 on it...its not available by default (option 66 was) I've been scouring the forums and documentation to find how to activate it so we can relay to the DNS/DHCP team , but it looks like customized code and can't find any examples. I've also tried opening tickets with InfoBlox, but wasn't able to.

The 88XX series phones are supposed to support option 66 and 150, as Matt indicated 79XX phones are pulling IP/Subnet/TFTP information from DHCP correctly. The 88XXs don't pull the TFTP servers although they are obtaining an IP address/subnet.

Thanks! 

Option 150 is usually not available by default on any DHCP server including MSFT, you need to build new option and define it as 150, then assign your CUCM TFTP address to it either per scope or globally.

I agree, hence my question about how to activate it on Infoblox!

Just googling it comes back with many hits, here is an example:

https://community.infoblox.com/t5/Security/Custom-IPv4-DHCP-Options/td-p/822

It's for different option, but steps should be the same.

The core problem still remains though... Why would these 88xx devices not work with option 66 where they are supported by cisco. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8800-series/english/adminguide/P881_BK_C136782F_00_cisco-ip-phone-8800_series/P881_BK_C136782F_00_cisco-ip-phone-8811-8841_chapter_01.html

Thanks Chris, this set of steps would seem to make sense and is a path we tried previously, but Infoblox seems to put out frequent major release upgrades and the steps to add a DHCP option are different from the link you shared. Infoblox has online support for contract holders which is what eventually got us to option 150. Option 66 did not work for 88XX series phones in our deployment with Infoblox v7.3 DHCP server (CUCM 11.5). Option 66 was used b/c it is a default option available to the DHCP team. Here's the steps we had to take to add option 150 on our version of Infoblox. Option 150 resolved our 88XX registration issues. Here are screen shots of the guide we used and steps. CUCM TFTP IPs are entered together, separated by a comma.

have you worked on an InfoBlox DNS/DHCP solution? Any idea how to implement option 150 on it...its not available by default (option 66 was) I've been scouring the forums and documentation to find how to activate it so we can relay to the DNS/DHCP team who couldn't figure it out, but it looks like customized code and can't find any examples.

We have.  

We have DHCP Option 43, 150 enabled on.  We didn't have to install some special module or run special software. 

We created an Excel spreadsheet and entered the scopes using CLI.

Unfortunately, my team does not control equipment running Option 66 instead of 150. We have continually requested for it to change to 150 and am still working down that path. 

Sorry to hear about that.  Our team, Networks, manage the InfoBlox (I don't personally but I do go in and make changes when the need arises).  If the people who manage them don't know how (or don't want) to configure DHCP Option 150 then one could "cheat" by running your own DHCP server that does nothing but this function.  A simple device like a Raspberry Pi (or equivalent) can do the trick. 

Thanks Leo, that's helpful

Unfortunately, my team does not control equipment running Option 66 instead of 150. We have requested for it to change to 150 and am still working down that path. 

I still find it strange that it's equipment specific though. It's really any 8800 series I've tried. The 8831's that were getting also don't pick up Option 66 automatically. 

Really weird issue.