cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a new device in CUCM SME

hkkmr19
Level 1
Level 1

Understood CUCM and CUCM SME is very similar except CUCM SME wont be used for phone registrations and used mainly for call routing between clusters or various devices as per below discussion link:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony-and-phones/difference-between-cucm-vs-cucm-sme/td-p/2942137

My question is, if I am going to add a new Voice Gateway to an existing CUCM SME, will it be the same process as adding a new Gateway/Trunk (for H323 and SIP) to a normal CUCM? Is there any other thing I need to take note of?

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

They're not very similar, they're the exact same thing, a regular CUCM install becomes an SME due to the role it plays in routing.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

Is it safe to say that it's best practice for SME to configure the Device Pool, Trunk, Partition, CSS, etc. (and other Voice Gateway related config) on the SME itself if i'm adding a CUBE/H323 or MGCP VG for external calling? I do understand that it will depend to me but want to know the best practice on the real world scenario.

There exactly the same, so no difference at all in  how you operate these.

Response Signature

Understood, thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

Is it safe to say that it's best practice for SME to configure the Device Pool, Trunk, Partition, CSS, etc. (and other Voice Gateway related config) on the SME itself if i'm adding a CUBE/H323 or MGCP VG for external calling? I do understand that it will depend to me but want to know the best practice on the real world scenario.

It’s is a regular CM, do as you would do for your leaf clusters.

Response Signature

Thank you Roger!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: