Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Cisco IP Phone CP-7821 to SipGate service

talksr0011
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have recently purchased a CP-7821 which I would like to add to my SipGate.co.uk service. I don't have call manager or anything like that. When I contacted Cisco, before purchasing this handset, they advised that this would be compatible with the SipGate service I am using.

I have plugged the handset into my network and it has obtained an IP address. 

I am able to view the web interface, though I don't seem able to log in anywhere to configure the settings.

When the handset boots, it says:

"Enter activation code or service domain".

I have attempted to enter in my SipGate details. But it doesn't seem to like these.

SipGate provide the following instructions to enter into the handset, but I don't seem able to find any of these options on the phone menus. 
https://basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/204152002-Cisco-SPA-Deskphones
Can anyone help?

I don'2

10 Replies 10

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The activation code or service domain are meant for the device to be used with Webex or MRA, you bought a device with enterprise FW, meaning it's meant to be used with a Cisco call control. You * can * use it with 3rd party call control, but you'll need to provide the device with all the configuration files it would get from a Cisco call control, manually formatted for your 3rd party PBX. You can find plenty of threads on the topic at CSC or if you google.

If you wanted a Cisco device, for a 3rd party PBX, you should have bought the 3PCC variant (3rd party call control, and the PN has 3PCC in it) which does provide a config GUI similar to what you see in the link they sent you. Devices with enterprise FW do not have that, and it's a read-only GUI, not meant for configuration

If you can, I'd suggest you have that device swapped for a 3PCC model.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Endpoints_FAQ#What_is_an_MPP.2F3PCC_device.3F.3F

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you, I am getting one sent out with 3PCC in the model name. Should be here by end of the week. 

Good news. The replacement has arrived today.

I have not yet had a chance to plug it in. How would I enter in the details I need to? Would I need to visit the web interface, or would I do it through the actual phone menus?

Many thanks. 

Make sure DHCP Option 150 is enabled.

Thank you everyone for your help. It is up and running and working exactly as expected. 

I have a couple more questions and would be really grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I have tried a few times to get the time to display correctly. I am in London. I have tried changing 'Daylight Saving Time Enable' to yes or no and waiting for reboot, but it is still an hour ahead. So it is currently 1443, but it is displaying 1543. Is there any way to permanently fix this?

Time.PNG

Second, the date displays on the phone screen top left as Month/Day/Year. How can I change this to Day/Month/Year?

Lastly, does anyone know which particular model of Cisco IP phone I would need to get for the IP 7940 range to allow it to work with the SipGate system? It doesn't seem that there is a 3ppc model of this handset. 

Thanks as always for all of your help and guidance. 

79X0 cannot support 3PCC so the only way to get this into SIPGate is to do it the "old fashion way".

What is the software version on this device? You can check it on Info->Status page -> Software Version

As for the date format you can try changing the following:

Voice->Regional->Language->Locale -> Change this from en-US to en-GB

Thanks.

3PCC models only exist for the 78xx and 88xx series

I have not worked with 3PCC a lot as I focus on CUCM environments, you might want to try upgrading to the latest code and see if the time issue goes away.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I agree with Java.
Talk to the vendor and ask them if they can swap a unit with 3PCC firmware.
It'll make things a lot easier.

Thanks, have done and a replacement is on the way!