cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Alternatives to Wavelink ?

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

Does anyone know how Wavelink provisions 7921/5 phones ? i.e. What do I need to do to roll my own system to provision 7921/7925 phones ?

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here's what I did for a customer:

1. Find a spare AP, configure it with an SSID of 'cisco' with open authentication. Turn the TX power all the way down and mount it within the IT area. Ensure that the DHCP lease being given out on that VLAN includes Option 150 for a TFTP. This does not have to be CUCM TFTP, just some basic server that the phone can contact.
    • Since the phone only needs a DHCP lease and the TFTP server you don't even have to route this network if you are worried about others getting on the SSID.
  2. Download the Cisco 792x Bulk Deployment Utility
  3. Create either one global or MAC-specific configurations using the utility and save the resulting file to the TFTP server. The MAC-specific files allow you to give each phone it's own set of credentials for authentication purposes.
  4. Turn on a phone. It will associate to SSID 'cisco' by default from the factory and search for the config file. When it finds one it will download it, apply, and switch to the production voice SSID at that point. Once on the voice SSID it will get the normal Option 150 for CUCM TFTP and proceed to upgrade firmware/register.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here's what I did for a customer:

1. Find a spare AP, configure it with an SSID of 'cisco' with open authentication. Turn the TX power all the way down and mount it within the IT area. Ensure that the DHCP lease being given out on that VLAN includes Option 150 for a TFTP. This does not have to be CUCM TFTP, just some basic server that the phone can contact.
    • Since the phone only needs a DHCP lease and the TFTP server you don't even have to route this network if you are worried about others getting on the SSID.
  2. Download the Cisco 792x Bulk Deployment Utility
  3. Create either one global or MAC-specific configurations using the utility and save the resulting file to the TFTP server. The MAC-specific files allow you to give each phone it's own set of credentials for authentication purposes.
  4. Turn on a phone. It will associate to SSID 'cisco' by default from the factory and search for the config file. When it finds one it will download it, apply, and switch to the production voice SSID at that point. Once on the voice SSID it will get the normal Option 150 for CUCM TFTP and proceed to upgrade firmware/register.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.