Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA 186 Faxing

JDT69RR
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a Cisco ATA 186 with a fax connected to it. I have been at this for weeks. This is through sip service. I am at a dead end. I can receive faxes but can’t send. The fax machine dials and you hear it connect then drops with a communication problem. The error code the fax is giving me is that there’s a line condition. There is no line condition. So if someone can point me in the right direction to review the config and see what’s going on. 

6 Replies 6

Leonardo Santana
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

Check this discussion:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony-and-phones/fax-over-ip-via-sip-trunk-issue/td-p/2994249

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***

Connect a normal telephone and make sure that you are able to make normal calls from ATA186. 

Outgoing Fax issue most probably Its due to the fax protocol which you use. You need to use the same protocol  which your ISP supports. 

Check with your ISP which protocol  they support, t.38 or passthrough. Accordingly you need to make configuration changes. 

Incoming Fax will work, but out going will not work in such cases. 

Response Signature

A regular telephone works with no exceptions. I’m thinking it may be Configuration changes that is possibly needed. Also I have a ata 187 being sent to me which is capable of doing SIP. As for my ISP? My sip service is not through the ISP it’s a separate service.

Its the fax protocol issue. Check with you ISP which protocol they use and accordingly  you need to make changes. 

Can you share more information regarding your UC infrastructure. 

Response Signature

Hey all!

So after several weeks of troubleshooting we learned the SIP provider no longer supported faxing. With that said service was moved to a provider which does allow that and all is working as intended.

Thank you!

@JDT69RR 

Great news.

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***