cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Better voice quality on 9971 phones

ronald.nutter
Level 1
Level 1

My boss has come to me and wants better voice quality when making calls within our group. He indicated that we should sound like we are in the same room when calling each other.

For a little more info - We have 10 phones up that are on the same switch.  I have the phones on the latest available code.I have looked in CM and the phones look to be on G711ulaw.  Since that option is greyed out for changing to anything else, I will assume that this option cant be changed.

I have looked and dont see another codec that can give us even better sound quality.  Maybe there is a setting in Call Manager 9.1.1 that can be used to help with this but I havent been able to find anything.

Wanted to check with the community before opening a case with TAC.

Ron                 

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you enabled G722??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

that is my next step. Looking in Call Manager now on how to do that.

Ron

Hi Ronald,

On CUCM 9.1 by default G.722/G.711 should be negotiated between phones.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.
Favor calificar todos las respuestas útiles dando click en las estrellas de mas abajo.

According to what I can find in Call Manager, it is advertising G711 and G722.  i see the phone running at G711 from what I can see in the Admin settings.  Trying to find a way to enable it in the phones.  Not seeing anything in the Device->Phone menu so far.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ron,

Just an FYI...some users love G.722 and some hate it so if the Boss has it enabled

try disabling it and vise-versa

Two parameters in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration  affect whether wideband is supported for this Cisco Unified  Communications Manager server and/or a specific phone:

Advertise G.722 Codec—From Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration, choose System > Enterprise Parameters. The default value of this enterprise parameter is True,  which means that all Cisco Unified IP Phone Models 9971 that are  registered to this Cisco Unified Communications Manager will advertise  G.722 to Cisco Unified Communications Manager. If each endpoint in the  attempted call supports G.722 in its capabilities set, Cisco Unified  Communications Manager will choose that codec for the call when  possible.

Advertise G.722 Codec—From Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration, choose Device > Phone.  The default value of this product-specific parameter is to use the  value specified in the enterprise parameter. If you want to override  this on a per-phone basis, choose Enabled or Disabled in the Advertise G.722 Codec parameter on the Product Specific Configuration area of the Phone Configuration window.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/9971_9951_8961/7_1_3/english/admin/guide/9971cus.html

Cheers!

Rob

"Why do the best things always disappear " 

- The Band