Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Manager dropping Third Party SIP devices

jerry harris
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My name is Jerry Harris and I am having an issues with Call Manager dropping third party Sip device's that has been registered. We have an admin server which we used to provision these devices to the Call Manager. The device registers with the call manager and has a IP Address but after more than 30 days the call manager delete's the device from for some unknown reason. Question ? is their a timer set in call manager for third party handset's which expires and then delete's the device from the call manager because it has not been used for a period of time. I would appreciate any help.

Best Regards,

Jerry Harris

Apriva ISS

210-925-1407

8 Replies 8

Nadeem Ahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jerry,

A phone that has never been registered to call manager would definitely be in Unknown status. But, a phone that was registered to the call manager at some point of time can be in Unregistered or Unknown status depending on a service parameter in the "RIS Data collector" service.

The parameter is "RIS Unused Cisco CallManager Device Store Period" :

This parameter specifies the RIS database information storage period for any unregistered or rejected device information from the Cisco CallManager service. After the time specified in this parameter expires, Cisco CallManager removes the expired entries during the next RIS database cleanup time (specified in the RIS Cleanup Time of the Day parameter)

This is a required field.

Default:  3

Minimum:  1

Maximum:  30

Unit: day

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsagx/7xcucsag270.html.

Regards

Nadeem Ahmed

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

Hello Nadeem,

Thanks for your response to my email. I have looked at the settings in our call manager an they are all set to the default settings. Question ? Is the  maximum setting 30 minutes or 30 days and how do you change from time as in hours 22:00 to unit: days. I appreciate your help.

Best Regards,

Jerry Harris

As per the service parameter and value it does not seems to feasible as Clean time will take into the effect based on the days defined.but seems to be UN-realistic as number of days as you have said it was set 3 rather 30. let me check on this

This parameter specifies the time of the day that the RIS database will be cleaned up to remove any unused, old device information. During this time, the NumofRegistrationAttempts performance counters for all devices reset to 0.
 Default:  22:00
 Maximum length: 5
 Allowed values: Specify time in HH:mm format (for example 06:11).
 Unit: hr:min
This parameter specifies the RIS database information storage period for any unregistered or rejected device information from the Cisco CallManager service. After the time specified in this parameter expires, Cisco CallManager removes the expired entries during the next RIS database cleanup time (specified in the RIS Cleanup Time of the Day parameter)
 Default:  3
 Minimum:  1
 Maximum:  30
 Unit: day
Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

Hi.

AFAIK RIS db regulate the registratin status of a device and not the retention of a device on CUCM DB.

What demonstrate it is the fact that if you reboot the CUCM the device status restarts from 0 seconds.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Hey Nadeem,

Thanks for your help in answering my question. I understand the parameters so it must be that this only happens with third party devices. It also could be our admin server never pushed onboarded the phone information to the CUCM. If this happens I will see if what kind of errors we see. I will look into changing the RIS Unused Cisco CallManager Device Store Period: Required Field Default: 3 to Maximum 15 just to see if we have any issues.

Thanks again for your help

Jerry Harris

Nadeem,

Are you saying that CUCM deletes devices that have not been active for 30 days? I don't really get this parameter. I have phones on my network that have been un registered for well over a year and they have not been deleted. Or does this affect only 3rd party devices?

Please rate all useful posts

Hello Gentlemen,

My "RIS Unused Cisco CallManager Device Store Period" is set to 22:00 which tells me that it set for 22 hours or is this 22 days. What parameter do I set or how do I set it for an indefinite period of time. I am using a third party sip device.

Best Regards,

Jerry Harris

Hello Gentlemen,

My "RIS Unused Cisco CallManager Device Store Period" is set 3 which I think is days instead 22:00 hrs. I have third party devices that have been registered then unregister and they are still in the call manager. Is their another parameter that I need to set ?

Jerry Harris