cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you have the same IP Communicator on different PCs?

I'm in the process of getting a new computer and will have to use both for a while unitil I transition fully to the new one.  I user IP Communicator on my existing one but will need it on my new one also.  Can the IP Communicator be loaded on two PCs as the same time?  Will installing it on a second PC interfere with the one on the first PC?  Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

More modern versions of IP Communicator and CUCM allow you to use free text rather than SEPxxxxxxxxxxxx (where xxxxxxxxxxxx is the MAC address of the PC NIC) as the CUCM device name.

For example you could use CIPC_DAHADLEY

If you use this as the device name in your CIPC configurations on both PCs then you will not have to change the device setup on CUCM when you use different devices.

The only problem would come if you tried to have both devices active at the same time.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello,

You mean to use the same extention or the same MAC ??

Same is extension there is no problem with it , but the same MAC is not possible.

Amer

Yes, I mean to use the same extension.  So, the bottom line is that I can't have it running on two PCs.  It has to be one or the other, then?  Would I have to change the MAC address in CUCM?

No you can , there is no problem with that , you can keep the old phone in the call manager , just creat a new one with the new mac-address which is rela

ted to your new PC and when you add the extension , type the same number and the same extension, there is no problem with that , it's called shared line.

Amer

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

More modern versions of IP Communicator and CUCM allow you to use free text rather than SEPxxxxxxxxxxxx (where xxxxxxxxxxxx is the MAC address of the PC NIC) as the CUCM device name.

For example you could use CIPC_DAHADLEY

If you use this as the device name in your CIPC configurations on both PCs then you will not have to change the device setup on CUCM when you use different devices.

The only problem would come if you tried to have both devices active at the same time.

I think mulitple MAC_Addresses with the same DN will do the dew in your case.

HTH

I setup the second IP Communicator using the MAC address that was configured in IP Communicator on the first PC (although it was not the MAC address of the first PC - don't know where it came from).  In any case, I also pointed it to the same TFTP server as on the first PC and am able to use it on the second PC.  However, I don't use them at the same time.   I close out one before I open the other.  The user locale downloads on the respective phone and it is ready to go.  Thanks for all of your responses.