cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat5e Cable for 4 FXO Lines?

jmunoz19
Level 4
Level 4

I'm deploying a remote site with four FXO voice ports in a VG on one side of a large room.  On the other side of the room are four lines from the PSTN that are terminated on a 66 block.  I need to connect those four lines into the four FXO ports on the router.  Can I just take a 50 foot Cat5e cable and use the four pairs inside to connect the four lines?  I was thinking on one end I would crimp four RJ11 heads (one on each pair) and plug them into the VG.  On the other end of the cable I would punch down the corresponding pins into the 66 block.  Will this work?  If not, how should I connect these lines?

Thanks!

Jeff

4 Replies 4

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

That will work as you describe.  Another way that I would consider cleaner would be to terminate to 4 jacks and then use line cords to plug into your FXO blade.  You could get suface mount box with 4 jacks like this: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=5058&section=10751&minisite=10026

Brandon

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That will work.  Just make sure you wire it striaght-through, and don't cross tip and ring when terminating the pairs.  Flipped tip/ring will cause battery reversal issues, and issues with GS circuits.

Ring is pin 2, tip is pin 3 on a RJ14 (4 pin) jack.

Does it matter which pins on the cat5e cable that I use?  I was thinking I would keep it simple and use blue/blue-white for the 1st pair, brown/brown-white for the 2nd pair, orange/orange-white for the 3rd pair and green/green-white for the 4th pair.  Is that cool or do I have to use the pins in the order specified by the T568AB standard?

Thanks!

Jeff

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Jeff,

Best to follow the standard

1 White Blue/Blue

2 White Orange/Orange

3 White Green/Green

4 White Brown/Brown

Cheers!