cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change from SCCP to SIP

alinmaakw
Level 1
Level 1

I have Cisco IP Phone CP-6921 and 7965 and few more Cisco phones earlier used with Cisco call manager and now we want to use them with Asterisk Based PBX, can any one please help how to change firmware and how to configure these phones to work with Asterisk.

6 Replies 6

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You're probably better off posting in an Asterisk forum...

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks Aaron.

Sreekanth Narayanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You'd first need to have SEP<mac address>.cnf.xml files for the phones in the SIP format which you can edit and then make the phones point to the Asterisk server.

1. Configure the DHCP server in the network to provide the Option 150 or Option 66 (TFTP server) to the PC’s ip address
  2. On the PC, load the SEP<mac address>.cnf.xml file as well as the firmware load files in the root folder of the TFTP. The cnf.xml file can be got from the CME router flash.
  3. Run the tftp server application like TFTPD32 and set the root folder to the same folder as step 2 that contains all the files
  4. Factory reset. Now the phone will boot up and request for an address from the DHCP server. The DHCP server will provide an IP address as well as the TFTP server’s (PC) address.
  5. The phone will now reach out to the TFTP server and download the term default file, and then download the cnf.xml file, followed by the firmware load files.

The cnf.xml file should have the processnode entry pointing to the Asterisk server.

Hi Sreekanth Narayanan,

Thank you for the response, well I think my only problem is XML file not sure what do you mean by CME Router Flash (I don't have cisco call manager) I was able to install SIP Firmware using TFTP Method and option 66 but phone is not registering so I think im not really able to XML editing or something is missing here, not sure where to obtain right SEP<mac address>.cnf.xml and how to verify.

are this SEP<mac address>.cnf.xml  same for all phone models?

trying to adjust this cnf.xml but its not helping so far.

Can you attach the file here? Let's take a look at it.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ok, here's the dig in regards to the 7965:  I'm going to recommend 9.4(2)SR2 (or later).  Don't get me wrong, firmware version 8.5(4) is a beautiful and stable firmware for the 7900 series phones but with 8.5(4): 

1.  You need more files (like XMLDefault.cnf.xml); 

2.  You're going to rip your hair out with the configuration;

3.  If you stick with 9.X firmware, you can use the 7965 "base" template configuration file onto the 6921.  

Ok, so what do you need? 

First, you need the firmware on the phones.  Like I've mentioned above, I'd recommend using 9.4(2)SR2 and later.  

Next, a file called dialplan.xml.  A good sample can be found below:

<DIALTEMPLATE>
<TEMPLATE MATCH="*" Timeout="5"/>
<TEMPLATE MATCH="1300......" Timeout="0"/>
<TEMPLATE MATCH="*#" TIMEOUT="0" REWRITE="%1"/>
</DIALTEMPLATE>

Explanation: 

<TEMPLATE MATCH="*" Timeout="5"/>

Enter any numbers and after the last digit, wait for 5 seconds before dialing. 

<TEMPLATE MATCH="*#" TIMEOUT="0" REWRITE="%1"/>

This means dial any number, however, when the "#" is entered, do not wait for the timeout and dial immediately.

<TEMPLATE MATCH="1300......" Timeout="0"/>

This means match the first four digits of "1300" and expect the next 6 digits.  Timeout is "0" means after the 6th digit, dial immediately.  

Finally, you need the SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml file.  Fortunately, I've already done the "heavy lifting" for you.  For a sample template, go HERE.  There are two sample files there:  One for an 8961 and another for a 9971.  Choose which of the two you want to use.  There are also some settings mandatory there.  

As what Sreekanth has noted, don't forget DHCP Option 150.  This is very important.  

Hope this helps and please don't forget to rate our useful posts(s).