cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2811 Router

moman62
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I have the PVDM-32 module installed on the router and wanted to know would that be enough for me to setup a couple of cisco ip phones to use? or what other modules/software would i need to make the phones work/dial-out/use voice mail/and video? Thanks

4 Replies 4

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

This quite a confusing question. You have a 2811 router with a PVDM 32 and you want to connect and register a couple of phones.

Do you have a PBX in picture ? 

So if you break down the requirements, you need a PBX to register the phones. That can be either a CUCM or a CME. CUCM is server/virtual based whereas CME Is IOS based.

If your 2811 is a CME it should have the required licenses on it.

For Voicemail, you need the CUE modules on CME whereas you need the Unity Connection applications if you use CUCM. 

The other role of 2811 ISR routers are using as a PSTN breakout. You can configure the router as a Voice Gateway (MGCP/SIP/H323) and register with your CUCM and use for incoming/outgoing calling gateway.

For either scenarios, (as in CME or PSTN VG) you need the PVDMs.

PVDM is Packet Voice Digital Signal. This is a hardware module that provides digital-signal-processor (DSP) resources to the system. A PVDM module can be populated with one or more DSPs.

The DSP resources on a PVDM module provide collaboration services including voice sessions, transcoding sessions, conference sessions, and video.

Hope this clarifies your query

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

Sorry this is for a collaboration lab. I have an analog phone setup with my provider. I see a lot of items that are kind of confusing like a VIC2-2FXS and a VIC2-2FXO would I need to have those modules as well or what are the uses for them?

In simple terms you can connect a telephone or fax machine to an FXS using a RJ-11 while you can connect local calls to a central office or PBX using FXO interfaces

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

You can absolutely connect a fax or an analog phone using RJ-11 to an FXS port. That is what an FXS port is for. FXO are to terminate lines/trunks coming from CO FXS ports.

For the collaboration lab I would advise at least a 64 channel PVDM. 32 just does not cut it in terms of having TDM circuit and IOS hosted media resources. 

Additionally, CCIE Collaboration is getting a revision next month, I believe it's 28th. Are you planning to give the exam before that ? If not, then you can do away with DSP's etc since the router will be CSR only and do not support DSP's. Conferencing etc is being moved to CMS.