Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO 2851 Router

cigalahgroup
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have Cisco 2851 router with 2 FXS port card which is inherited from another sister company. I would like to use this router in LAB using on analog line and installing CUCME version 8.1.

My question is Can I directly connect the rj11 to FXS port and start  calling ? I dont have any PBX.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You do not need to install anything to make calls on this router as CME is built into IOS, you need to enable it with ‘telephony-service’.  You can then connect analog phones to these FXS ports.

View solution in original post

Hi, FXS port is intended for connect analog phone instead FXO which intended for connect PSTN analog line.

But You need PVDM for work with analog telephony 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helping seriously ill children, all together. All information about this, is posted on my blog

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You do not need to install anything to make calls on this router as CME is built into IOS, you need to enable it with ‘telephony-service’.  You can then connect analog phones to these FXS ports.

I precisely mean if I have to call outside using the pstn line ? 

Hi, FXS port is intended for connect analog phone instead FXO which intended for connect PSTN analog line.

But You need PVDM for work with analog telephony 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helping seriously ill children, all together. All information about this, is posted on my blog

No, as pointed out you need FXO ports for that, which for 2800 router you can get for few $ on eBay along with PVDM2-8 that you will need.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: