cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7945 Wont boot but Speaker light stays solid green.

jack.riley1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have had a few Cisco 7900 series phones returned to me recently with the same problem

When the phone receives PoE the whole phone lights up the only the speaker light stays on and all else goes off. Factory reset not functional at this point. These were all working phones at one point. Other posts suggest a hardware fault, can anyone confirm if there are any known fixes before i raise a TAC?

Thanks in advance.

15 Replies 15

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Which 7900 phones, switch, ios?

The phones i have had back are all cisco 7945s into a 3750 stack running 'ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE6'

I've had 3 come back after a major departmental move, when unpacking at the far side of the move the phones are doing as above. Thanks for your assistance.

Phone Load name - SCCP45.9-4-2-1s

Looks like you are hitting the problem listed in the field notice above.

"If the suspected hardware has been in operation for approximately 24 months, the product hardware might fail to boot up due to memory failure during a power cycle event"

"Fix on failure Replacement Guidelines: Request Return Material Authorization (RMA) product through normal service support channels."

Thats the best explanation i've had to date. Many thanks for your help Cehill.

Your welcome.

Is there a work around available for this or a way of knowing which phones are effected? 

I'm undertaking an upgrade for a client at the moment and they have about 200 7945's deployed and so far about 5% of their phones have been effected by this?

I'm concerned about upgrading the phones as I don't want to kill all of them.

Thanks,

Richard

I read through the Field Notice before and opened a case with TAC.  Long story short, if the 79xx phone is under warranty or SmartNet you can get it replaced.  If it is not covered then your basically out of luck unless you can convince your Cisco Rep. or Cisco Partner to replace the phones for free.  The field notice basically states that Cisco knows they got a batch of bad chips in these phones, but they stop short of doing a replacement program.

We normally loose at least one phone every time we have a power outage at any of my sites. 

There are no internal batteries in these phones that I know of, but it's been a while since I cracked one open.

This discussion has been reposted from Cisco Small Business Support Community to the IP Telephony community.

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Field notice below describes your trouble.  Unfortunately I don't see a workaround listed.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/637/fn63772.html

FN 63772 - IP Phones - May Fail To Boot-Up After A Power Cycle - Fix-on-Failure

Phones that fail remain in a stalled boot-up state where the LCD is blank and the speakerphone lamp is lit. The phone will no longer recover back to an operational state.

Hi Folk,

I have a solution for you. you should test your device at some other location, or you may change its batteries and then see how its performs. 

When you say try it in another location, do you just mean a different switch/switchport - as this has no effect. Also which batteries should we be changing? 

Batteries are there inside the phone. you can open from bottom. you need to unscrew it(if it is not in warranty). 

I've opened up a defective phone and i don't see any batteries, do you know where they are located and what they look like?

Hi Andrew,

Tried on a seperate switch stack & a seperate Chassis but still wont boot, When you say battery are you talking about a CMOS battery of some sort on the internal board of the phone? I've never dealt with these before as like you say it would probably null any warranty.

Thanks for your help.