cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ipPhones migration from Source to Destination cluster

Siva chinap
Level 5
Level 5

We're transitioning CUCM 12.5 to new hardware with a new hostname and IP address. ITL/CTL is installed in the present cluster, which is in mixed mode. We're going to use non-secure mode in the new cluster. ipPhones will be relocated to a new cluster. Will phones be registered if I upload all of the certificates? After testing will it switch to the old cluster if planning to rollback.

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The topic of migrating phones to a new cluster has been discussed many, many times at the forum and there are write ups that discuss the options and how they work, have you taken the time to review any of those resources?

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I've read through all of the documentation and want to ensure that on the source cluster, I switched from mixed to non-secure mode. I restarted the cluster, but CTL/ITL is still not erased. If i want to test Phones registration, planning to export all the certificates from source to destination cluster.After the testing when i roll back to the source cluster. Will IP phones be registered or will they be stuck in the registration process?

This can be done with multiple options

- Bulk Certificate Management Between CUCM Clusters for Phone Migration

- Prepare Cluster for Rollback to Pre-8.0 enabling it True and restart the phones which remove the ITl files.

- Use Third party tools like unifiedFX phone view. it give 500 device with demo licensing. it can be used to erase the ITL/CTL.

https://www.unifiedfx.com/phoneview/free-trial

Response Signature

Not a comment on your overall topic, but ITL is not related to mixed or or non-secure mode. That’s related to security by default that came with CM 8.

@Nithin Eluvathingal Has listed the options, from these I have first hand experience with the first option that works well. With this I think that you can move phones back and forward between the two systems, but I have not done a rollback myself as when we moved phones to the other cluster we did not have a need for a rollback.

Response Signature

With this I think that you can move phones back and forward between the two systems, but I have not done a rollback myself as when we moved phones to the other cluster we did not have a need for a rollback.

From memory it depends on exactly what you do with the certificates.  For a one-way migration you need certificates from the New cluster to be merged and uploaded to the Old, then phones reset. After that the phones will trust the new cluster so will register.  For two-way you also have to the reverse, certificates from the old cluster merged and uploaded to the new. 

We did this for an organisation who were forever shipping spare phones between locations served by a different cluster, so it made it easier if any of their phones worked on either cluster.