Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CUBE setup with SIP trunk

Yannick Vranckx
Level 2
Level 2

Dear,

For a customer site we will have to deploy a Cisco CUBE for their SIP trunk to the provider.

Now we have received some information that the actual trunk (cable) will not plugged into the CUBE but in a router of their provider. Can we then connect the CUBE to their router and give the interface an IP that can ping the providers router so establish the SIP trunk? I have no idea if this is even possible?

I have only done installation where the SIP trunk is directly connected to the CUBE with an external address. 

What could be done to deploy this and/or is it possible to do this even?

5 Replies 5

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

Yes, that is possible. plug in your CUBE directly to the service provider's equipment and put in appropriate static routes for the provider network. The next hop IP address will be the provider's equipment IP.

Please rate useful posts.

+5

We have hours connected via SP equipment too (MPLS router). You'll just assign whatever public IP they give you for your WAN interface and point the default route to them.

So just to recap:

I give the CUBE an interface ip, i add this IP to the trunk from CUCM

Then i make another interface ready with an IP to communicate with the providers router, i add a route (ip route <destination network (sip?)> <mask> <next hop (interface provider router that has point to point with CUBE)>)

Correct. The destination network will be the SIP media and signaling addresses that the provider gives you.

Please rate useful posts.

I think you got it Yannick.  

One thing you would need to find out is on what IP address your provider will hand off its SIP traffic. So all externally inboud SIP calls will be handed of to a certain IP address at your end. That IP address could be on your CUBE (preferrably) or NAT-ed on your providers CPE router (preferrably not). Get this info off them.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.