cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco ip phone 7960-61 not registering to CUCM

monasir
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having problems while trying to register 2 cisco ip phones to my CUCM 7.

I've configured 2 dhcp subnets ( in CUCM)  to release ip adress to the phones at ( SiteB) router.

Also in SiteB router i configured a helper -address into my Voice vlan.

The phones are giving several messages:

• cm down , features disables
  • upgrading
  • request tftp ...

When i go to settings on my phone i can see that it has the good tftp server

1. 10.10.210.11

2 10.10.210.10

Also did a factory reset on the phones

Nothing helped.

Could the problem be that i'm not having the right files on my SiteB router flash?

firmware , default loads etc of the phones..

Before i didnt had the problems nowe i do have.

I also sessioned into the Publisher to disable ( utils csa disable )

restarted DHCP monitor service in serviceability CUCM unfortunately no succes.

10 Replies 10

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First step is to ensure that the Phones are getting an IP address. if you suspect an issue with DHCP, try assigning a static IP. Check the status messages on the phone. Have you tried adding the phone manually on CUCM? Check the default tftp load on cucm and the one actually present on the phone. Ideal scenario would be to get a parallel packet capture from the IP phone and the primary cucm server to which the phone is trying to register. This will let us know if the issue is with tftp , sccp signaling or something else.

HTH

Manish

the phones are getting ip adresses

Status phones:

Sb phone 1

===>

• cm down , features disables
  • request tftp ...

Sb phone 2

===> upgrading process

Havent tried to add phones manually yet

Havent checked default load on cucm

CM Down - Faetures Disabled is caused by connectivity issues between cucm and IP phone but it happens after a phone is registered with the callmanager

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=YcCjKsssklIC&pg=PA158&lpg=PA158&dq=cm+down+features+disabled&source=bl&ots=ZX46muMFGy&sig=ueiEU4oTicTYjvBjvUWbx3haoo0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=iHfWUtmbFsPYrQek94CoDQ&ved=0CEcQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=cm%20down%20features%20disabled&...

For the phone attempting to upgrade its quite possible that the default load on cucm is higher than that of what is present on the phone itself , so it needs to be verified.

Manish

Hi Gogna,

I've checked all you said.

There is connectivity between cucm and ip phones.

Also from all of my Sites i can ping the publisher.10.10.210.10

Also checked default load and on cucm i verified its exact the same default load on the phone itself.

all of my phones are getting the right adress from the dhcp subnet scope.

checked settings etc..seems fine.

Sometimes when i check the list of my phones in ( cucm - device phone )

I can see a couple of phones are registered but when i look to the phone itself i see its request tftp ....

I am a little bit lost nowe

Give us the debug tftp events and messages
Is your cdp on the switches or routers?
Is your ip helper address correct under the voice vlan or interface connecting to the cucm network?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Best Regards

What exactly do you mean by "is your cdp on the switches or routers??

on all sites i do cdp run , cdp timer 5, and cdp advertise -v2

Did a debug tftp events i dont see anything.

I have 4 sites a/b/c/d

One of the sites is connected by trunk to a 3550 switch.

2 sites have HWIC cards

helper adress is configured properly under my site A & B vlan adresses

On cucm 2 dhcp scopes have been created

the phones have the right ip adresses when i check settings on my phones.

But they give several messages

On site B one of the phones

keeps telling upgrading

other phone several messages 

configuring ip

TFTP XMLDefault.cnf.xml

configuring cm list

requesting softkey template???

TFTP SEP003094C3 ( mac adress)

Publisher====> 10.10.210.10

Subscriber=====> 10.10.210.11

also sometimes they dont reboot under the good server. ( needs to be status 10.10.210.11 )

I see status unknown but when i take a look at the phones i see they got a number very strange

Looking at the different types symptoms that you are explaining here ( like phones showing registered on cucm but they are actually not , cm down features disabled message etc ) it all points to network connectivity issues between cucm and these phones. Simple being able to ping the cucm from this site will not confirm network connectivity. The network needs to be checked for any sccp / tftp packet drops on any firewalls in the topology. Even if a parallel capture from cucm and ip phone is not possible we can set it up on at least the ip phone so that it can be seen when the phone resets is it due to tcp keepalive ack being missed or something else. If there are any working phones on that site ( preferably same model ) then you can try swapping the switchports for working and non working phones.

HTH

Manish

Hi,

Are you trying to register it with subscriber?

Please follow below steps and let us know the feedback

1). Delete phones in cucm which is showing as registered but in actual it's not registered.

2). Erase the phone configuration of the same.

3). Capture the packets from Wireshark for the same phone (Fresh registration).

If still phone doesn't register then please try to register it with publisher and for that:-

1). please give tftp server ip address of publisher as primary in dhcp pool .

2). Remove subscriber from Unified CM group.

3). Erase phone configuration and again capture packets.

Regards,

Nishant Savalia

Regards, Nishant Savalia

Hi Nishant,

Are you trying to register it with subscriber?

====>Thats right, the phones needs to be registered with the subscriber as primary processing agent order.

1). Delete phones in cucm which is showing as registered but in actual it's not registered.

===> i've already tried this

2. Erase the phone configuration of the same.

===> also

3). Capture the packets from Wireshark for the same phone (Fresh registration).

====> not yet

1). please give tftp server ip address of publisher as primary in dhcp pool .

====> in cucm i'm not using tftp adresses because the phones are inhereted from dhcp server

2). Remove subscriber from Unified CM group.

havent tried this yet, but after that i need to place subscriber in cucm group

Manish forgot to mention.

I am not using firewalls, this is for lab purposes.( voice home lab)

Some phones keep registered for a while, sometime with te right subscriber sometimes with the wrong server.

This is just for a while, after that i see the phones beginning to register again

dont understand this part ====>

"

The network needs to be checked for any sccp / tftp packet drops on any firewalls in the topology. Even if a parallel capture from cucm and ip phone is not possible we can set it up on at least the ip phone so that it can be seen when the phone resets is it due to tcp keepalive ack being missed or something else "

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: