Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP Phone speaker and headset similtinously

asherif82
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Our customer is asking for using cisco ip phone headset and while speaking use the speaker so that both speaker and headset are working together in the same time.

How can we acheive that feature?, Also which type of cisco phones is supported?.

Please advise experts.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

First of all - Cisco 7911 has no headset functionality. So, the only option to connect a headset - replace a handset with a headset (most likely with an external amplifier / switch). And your client still need to operate a handset to answer a call (except a situations when he answers a call with a speakerphone).

Second... If client has 794x or 796x, then, as I described above, headset may be used. However, as I explained above, when speakerphone activated, even though you have sound feedback on the headset, the "phone body microphone" will be used. Which means that your microphone will pick up all noises in the room.

What the cheapest option possible to reach (kind of "satisfy" clients goal) - get a headset, then get a "training Y-cable splitter", and some kind of amplified speakers.

* The proper QD headset or PC Headset Adapter will connect to the phone (again, we're talking about 794x or 796x IP phones).

* Audio output splits between headset and external speakerphone (in case of QD headset it will be "training Y-cable", in case of QD headset, or 3.5mm male to two female splitter)

* Proper headset (for supervisor or whoever will be talking to a customer)

* Amplified speakers, amplifier, recorder, etc. that takes audio output. It may require to "play with", since it may require either attenuation (fpr example, putting a resistor), or amplification (get simple in-line audio amplifier).

Good like,

Mike / CCVP, CCDP, CCSP, CCNP, CCIE Voice (written)

Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Are u talking of using External Headsets like Plantronics/Jabra connected to Cisco IP phone and Speakers simultaneously ?

You can use either of them at a time.

regds,

aman

No customer is asking to use Cisco phone headset the normal one and speaker in the same time without any third party headsets.

Is that possible and if so how to perform the configuration to do so.

Thanks.

Hi,

As far as I know , we cannot do it.

If the call comes and is picked by Handset of phone, later on it can be transferred to Speaker by pressing the button available on phone.

regds,

aman

OK. Let's try to get more clear requirements...

1. Why client wants to have both, headset and speakerphone working at the same time? Or it's not really "headset", but some other device, like analog recorder or conference mixer?

2. If both devices should be used at the same time, what in particular should work? Speakerphone? Microphone? Both?

Geenrally, in Cisco 7940 and up, you have "audio output feedback" goes to a headset port with either handset or speakerphone active as a primary device. However microphone is different - when you have a speakerphone active, the phone microphone active, and everything else is off, Same thing when headset or handset is activated. So, even though you may have "audio output" going to multiple devices, there could be only one mircophone.

Theoretically you may use external switch or mixer, connected to a headset port (for example, use some kind of "room conference equipment"), but it's another story.

Good luck,

Mike / CCVP, CCSP, CCDP, CCNP, CCIE Voice (written)

Hi ,

I checked with the customer and here is their answers

1. Why client wants to have both, headset and speakerphone working at the same time? Or it's not really "headset", but some other device, like analog recorder or conference mixer?

Some sales managers always receive a huge amount of calls everyday and they require to make the call on the speaker for everyone to be listening in the office while he can listen and speak clearly from the headset .

2. If both devices should be used at the same time, what in particular should work? Speakerphone? Microphone? Both?

Mainly the speaker should be the one that is working in similtinous with the headset.

I read in some documents that for 7911 you can use a softkey button called "Monitor" to toggle between the speaker and the headset but not both together.

Please need your advise if this is applicable or not noting that the phone required for this feature is 7945 and 7965.

Thanks

Hi,

First of all - Cisco 7911 has no headset functionality. So, the only option to connect a headset - replace a handset with a headset (most likely with an external amplifier / switch). And your client still need to operate a handset to answer a call (except a situations when he answers a call with a speakerphone).

Second... If client has 794x or 796x, then, as I described above, headset may be used. However, as I explained above, when speakerphone activated, even though you have sound feedback on the headset, the "phone body microphone" will be used. Which means that your microphone will pick up all noises in the room.

What the cheapest option possible to reach (kind of "satisfy" clients goal) - get a headset, then get a "training Y-cable splitter", and some kind of amplified speakers.

* The proper QD headset or PC Headset Adapter will connect to the phone (again, we're talking about 794x or 796x IP phones).

* Audio output splits between headset and external speakerphone (in case of QD headset it will be "training Y-cable", in case of QD headset, or 3.5mm male to two female splitter)

* Proper headset (for supervisor or whoever will be talking to a customer)

* Amplified speakers, amplifier, recorder, etc. that takes audio output. It may require to "play with", since it may require either attenuation (fpr example, putting a resistor), or amplification (get simple in-line audio amplifier).

Good like,

Mike / CCVP, CCDP, CCSP, CCNP, CCIE Voice (written)

hi mshavrov,

Thanks alot for your reply.

I'll inform the customer and let's see which direction we should go.

Have a nice day

Regards,

Amr Sherif

I work in a Lab environment with lots of noise - servers, fans, etc. running right behind me.

When I get a call, it's a big advantage to have headset in left ear, handset in right ear, to block out all that noise so I can hear the person on the other end.

Also, when I've make a call and I'm waiting on hold, I can just set the handset down on the desk and listen to the "waiting" music on the headset; then when somebody comes on the call, pick up the handset and start talking.  (This also works for boring teleconferences when the handset is on mute.)

I do NOT need the headset microphone to work - ever really.  All my talking can be on the handset.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: