Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Licensing question

a.pednekar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Folks,

I want to understand a few things about licensing on CUCM. I am currently running in to a issue with licensing for one of the customers who has 500 CUWL Standard licenses available. We have at this moment 350 IP Phones, 350 Jabber for Windows profiles configured 40 Jabber for Android and iPhone configured and 1 Jabber for iPad.

I see the following Licenses utilization warnings on the CUCM and the following usage status as in the attached image. We are using extension mobility for all users and the Jabber windows and Mobible profile have been assigned to the respective users. Currently 330 end users are configured.

Do I need to have additional licenses ordered for the system?

Regards

Alok

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Alok,

Assigning the user profile to an user wont change the license consumption. You need to assign the owner user id on the actual phone configuration page in CUCM and then do a synch in PLM and update license usage details in CUCM.

Also remember, if you have more than 2 devices assigned the same owner user id, then only it will start consuming one CUWL standard license instead of 3 separate licenses.

HTH

Rajan

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Alok,

The snapshot shows Licenses required [3+21+659+40=723 ] while u have got only 500 CUWL Standard Licenses. With CUWL Standard, u can have max 10 devices.

But as u have said that 350 IP Phones, 350 Jabber for Windows profiles configured 40 Jabber for Android and iPhone configured and 1 Jabber for iPad. Are these devices mapped to Same Owner-id? if not then, license consumption would be more.

Since the attachment shows Out of Compliance for Essential as 40 and Enhanced as 173

regds,

aman

Hi Aman,

Thanks for your reply.

We are using Extension mobility, so I havent tied the physical phones to any users, is that the right way?

For the Jabber profiles they are tied to users.

Regards

Alok

Hi Alok,

I suppose u need to configure  user device profile for each individual user and check whether u get option for owner userid

regds,

aman

Hi Aman,

No the user device profiles do not have any option for owner user id.

I am trying to verify that all Jabber windows profiles are tagged to a user each. I will see if that changes anything..

Regards

Alok

Guys,

I assigned all the Jabber Profile to a user each but that did not change the required licenses count still remains the same.

Also assigned a few phone to a user each but still the same.

Any ideas that I can check in to?

Regards

Alok

Hi Alok,

Assigning the user profile to an user wont change the license consumption. You need to assign the owner user id on the actual phone configuration page in CUCM and then do a synch in PLM and update license usage details in CUCM.

Also remember, if you have more than 2 devices assigned the same owner user id, then only it will start consuming one CUWL standard license instead of 3 separate licenses.

HTH

Rajan

Hi Rajan,

Oh so you mean if I do not have more than 3 devices assigned it will still consume 3 separate licenses?

Ok I will try to assign devices and synch again.

Regards

Alok

yes. pls try that because this is the way CUWL standard license works :)

Hi Alok,

I checked : you do not get option of owner id under Device Profile.

You need to enter owner user id for that respective user under Phone config so that u can save licenses .

regds,

aman

(+5) to Aman

Adding to what Aman mentioned, CUWL standard licenses will be used only if you add more than 2 devices to an end user. For example, if you add three devices to one end user and select the owner user id on the device configuration page, then one CUWL standard license will be consumed instead of 3 licenses. 

HTH

Rajan

a.pednekar
Level 1
Level 1

Oops I forgot to Rate the post.

Thanks Rajan and Aman for assisting on understanding this.

Rajans instructions helped resolve the issue +5

Apolofgies about the Rating.

Regards

Alok

Glad it helped. Cheers :)