Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Presence Engine[STARTING]

tony loktu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I know this has been discussed before but i can't see that any of the previous answers my issue.

We have IMP 11.5  and CUCM 11.5. I just installed the IMP, single node.

Alle the services starts but Cisco Presence Engine[STARTING]. It hangs there. I have tried to restart the service and the whole server without any luck.

admin:show tech network hosts

this produces the same out put on CUCM as on IMP, therefore i assume that host file is not the problem.

Running the "trouble shooter" in GUI returnes no error messages besides the Presence engine.

Where do i go from here?

"Utils service restart   Cisco Presence Engine" makes it go like this forever:

/T

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Oh god. Yeah, that kind of an issue. I would suggest you to re-install the IM&P. But this time, as a recommendation, install it with DNS settings if possible.
Just shut the machine down, remove it from the servers list in CUCM, and re-add it back afterwards so you can re-install the server.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Slavik Bialik
Level 7
Level 7
Did you do something lately in the configurations that may point us to the right direction?

Anyway, try going into the IM&P server and do: Diagnostics -> System Troubleshooter. And share the output with us, maybe one of the sections will give us more information about the general issue.

Hi Slavik

I've just installed it, so everything would be new :)

The troubleshooter only has one warning:

Warn

Restarting it via CLI or GUI gives same out put. Rebooting the whole server does not help either.

/T

Let's start with verifying few things:

1. Is the IM&P on a different LAN then the CUCM resides? Are they behind a Firewall?
  2. Did you install the IM&P with DNS settings and a domain? If not, go to IM&P -> Presence -> Domains, and add your internal domain.
  3. Go to CUCM, verify in System -> Presence Redundancy Groups -> select yours, that the IM&P server you installed is selected in the main select box.

Hi Slavik

I agree, lets get the basics confimed.

1. Yes they are on the same subnet, aka no firewall between CUCM and IMP.

2. Neither CUCM nor IMP is configured with DNS.

3. Yes, its there in the Presence Redundancy Group.

BTW: I am able to sync users from CUCM to IMP.

/T

So I think that's the issue, you don't have any default domain configured. When you first install the server with DNS configurations, it's automatically setting the default domain with the DNS domain,
But if you do not do it, you must go manually after installing the system and manually put your domain. It's not a DNS domain, but a presence domain, you have to set it up. So as I mentioned, just go to: Presence --> Domains, add new one. I have a good feeling that this is what you've missed, and after that the service should be up and running.

Hi Slavik

You might be right but i can't stop the engine, neither though GUI nor CLI. The other services : Cisco SIP, Proxy, Cisco XCP Router, Cisco Sync Agent and Cisco Client Profile Agent stops as expected.

There were a Domain in the "system domain" section, so i added a domain in the "admin section" but it didnt do anything so i'm rebooting the server now.

/T

BTW, forgot to ask, in CUCM, under System --> Server. In your IM&P server settings that has been added when you installed the system, the "IM and Presence Domain" is set? And if so, is it equal to the domain you just entered in the Domains page in IM&P server?
Anyway, hope it'll be fixed after a restart.

Hi Slavik

I have this error message:

The IM Address Scheme is currently not set to Directory URI and as a result the domains listed below are not in use. To change this setting, please go to the following page, AdvancedPresence Settings.

But since i'm not able to stop the Precense Enginge i'm not able to change it. 

/T

Oh god. Yeah, that kind of an issue. I would suggest you to re-install the IM&P. But this time, as a recommendation, install it with DNS settings if possible.
Just shut the machine down, remove it from the servers list in CUCM, and re-add it back afterwards so you can re-install the server.

Hi

Since CUCM is not using DNS then the install guide says i shouldnt be using DNS on the IMP either.

But i'm thinking a fresh start, a reinstall, would be the way to go.

/T

Can you point me to this guide? it doesn't make any sense. All the new versions of UC are suggesting using DNS in most of the deployments, especially deployments with Jabber and MRA softphones.

Hi

Here it is:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/11_5_1/cucm_b_installation-guide-cucm-imp-1151/cucm_b_installation-guide-cucm-imp-1151_chapter_010.html?bookSearch=true

--snip--

DNS requirements
If you are using DNS in your deployment, note the following requirements:

Mixed-mode DNS deployments not supported—Cisco does not support mixed-mode deployments. Both Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Unified Communications Manager) and IM and Presence must either use or not use DNS.

--snip--

And Cisco recommends NOT using DNS in CUCM, therefore we have not used DNS on the CUCM. 

/T

Very interesting, thanks for the reference. It is probably because both servers are part of a cluster, so it is important that the CUCM will also be configured with DNS settings.

Hi Slavik

A reinstall did it. I have no idea why. I noticed that the first time you log in through CLI it gives a warning that you might have to restart the "service manager" just to get the services up and running and this is a known bug...

The service was restarted several times in fact and it took "forever" to get every service back up running. 30 minutes or more.

Thanks for your assistance, Slavik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: